Is it possible to remove lower evaporator case in vehicle ?

JackStraw1

Hello again all, I'm having recurring clogging of evaporator box outflow and water in my 94 SE. I've cleaned it out as best I can through the resistor opening and blown out the drain tube. Works for a while and then comes back. I'd like to remove the bottom half of the case and clean out the 21 years of accumulated crud but it doesn't look possible without removing the case from the vehicle. I can't tell if there are clips behind but I'm guessing there are. I was thinking to loosen the mounting screws to get a little wiggle room and see if I could get it apart :O I imagine getting it back together would be a $##@.

Anyone ever do this?

Anyone have a decent picture of the back of the evaporator box ?

You'll find that there is a foam seal that joins the two halves together. You'll have to ask yourself is this really worth the trouble and if so and you don't mind tearing the seal, then go ahead and rip it apart. You can always clean off the foam particles afterwards and just reseal it with some black silicone. I haven't torn mine apart, I just check inside the resistor hole space and vacuum anything out.

Another thing you can try is take the resistor out of the hole it fits into, then turn the fan on full blast. Prepare for a shower of leaves and other stuff that comes out of there. All I can say is, have a vacuum handy to suck the stuff as it comes flying out.

Yeah, I already vacuumed it out but the problem is the condensation drain on the other side of the case in the back at the firewall drain.

I have taken the front clips off and cracked the case a little. I can get just a little bit of a peek in there by pulling down on the front. It looks pretty clean but obviously something is blocking the drain. I'm gonna try to snake a coat hanger in there today and maybe flush it from the top side with some mild detergent.

If that doesn't work, I'm gonna but a real compressor and blow the sucker out seriously.

That's what I get for parking under live oaks for years in Florida to try and get a little bit of shade from the frickin' miserable heat down there, lol Wished I'd had room in my garage.