Fun with Rotors: Year/Size Confusion

Precise1

We have a 1999.0 R50, build date 10/98 but registered as a 1999 model. I often buy parts for a 1998 Pathfinder just to avoid the whole 1999.5+ confusion, but this time I thought it would be OK or just wasn't thinking. Anyway, this happened with Autozone, but O'Really's has the same issue/conflicting information so assume other chains may as well.

1999 Pathfinder rotors are 28.1mm thick, 37.9mm wide overall and 299.8mm in diameter ($40)

1998 Pathfinder rotors are 28mm thick, 38mm wide overall and 283mm in diameter ($30)

The only difference is 16.9mm in diameter, and you pretty much have to take the old rotor off to get a good measurement. I've been doing this in stages, and didn't notice the difference and failed to match them up before I mounted the new, larger rotor. I only noticed when I went to slide the assembly onto the spindle and it wouldn't clear the dust shield...

So, be warned if you have a 1999 R50, there appear to be two different rotor sizes. Hopefully this will save someone some cursing, another trip to the auto parts store and a delay in the job.

Interesting note I just learned (too late of course), the calipers for 1999 show two different types; one Built to 11/1998, the other Built from 12/1998, so there is the cut off. The brake pads are the same part number though, so the only difference is a greater relief for the larger diameter rotor (or the whole thing sits at a slightly larger diameter).

Why they don't show a cut off date for the rotors... P...

Like the parts guy said, "Yeah, Nissan does some weird stuff sometimes..."

B

• Like 1

I did the same ordering rotors.

You want to know what the difference is? The caliper mounting bracket. Which are like $20 each at the parts stores. But usually have to order them in.

Can just use them with bigger rotors. Done.