Stock '04 SE Guidance

Slac_Lac

Hi folks,

New member here with a stock 2004 SE with 125k miles and a rear suspension that is shot (anymore than a person in the rear seat and it bottoms out *clunk).

I am looking to upgrade the suspension, give it some new wheels, and install manual locking hubs to increase mpg.

The questions I have are as follows:

*What is the best, cost efficient option out there? (I am looking at the Old Man Emu)

*What is the maximum tire size I can put on the vehicle without rubbing when its stock? With the OME?

*Will 265/70r16 or 245/75r16 be okay?

*Any advice on the hubs? I skimmed the other forum regarding the hubs....appears I can find my answers there.

Also any other advice is greatly appreciated. 75% of my driving is main roads/interstate, but i do enjoy getting up in the Appalachian mountains to camp as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for yalls help.

Ok, ask yourself, do you want to lift at the same time or just get stiffer springs? The answers depends on yours.

Generally speaking, the largest tire you can put on a stock R50 (without sagged suspension) is 31x10.5" on rims with the same (or close) back spacing. Do the math with a tire size calculator.

Hubs, you have 2 common options, Warn or Mile Marker. Mile Marker PN 435 can be had for under $100 and work fine, I run a set myself.

Please don't take this wrong, but all of your questions are of 'standard noob' type and have been extensively discussed here. Please use the search function (just go straight to advanced search) to look up more discussion than you probably want to read, but the info is there. ;)

Welcome to NPORA BTW!! :beer:

B

OP, we just got the same truck as you, and I'll be following to see what ideas you come up with.

I was just reading how another member with a stock 3.5 SE put 245/75 R16 tires on his Pathfinder and had minimal rubbing at full lock. Might be worth checking out. The search function on this site isn't that great, and there isn't a subforum for specialized issues e.g. performance, suspension, engine issues, etc. so you'll have to just dig through the archived posts to find the info.

Edited by DanF.