00 pathfinder temp gauge goes up almost to 3/4

fearkobe

00 pathfinder temp gauge goes up almost to 3/4 when turning on the a/c and going up hill with the a/c off. Any idea? Maybe the radiator. I did a flush and thermostat change. Thanks

So the fact that it rises at those temperatures rules out the viscous fan. There is a secondary thermostat on these vehicles as well that is a much bigger pain to get to. If you are overheating at load I would suspect the secondary T-stat. Other potential issues could be the water pump not flowing properly, collapsed radiator hoses, clogged radiator, or air in the system.

Just noticed you are talking about a 2000, i'm not actually sure if they have the secondary thermostat so you may want to research that.

Thanks for the reply. On our way to wa state. Started heating up going up hills the heater helps. I'm hoping it's the radiator and not the water pump. I haven't heard of a secondary thermostat but will look into it. I'm new to these. Haven't noticed any collapsed hose. I opened the radiator when it was hot and the coolant went into the coolant bottle and when I start it up it went back in the radiator.

Thanks for the reply. On our way to wa state. Started heating up going up hills the heater helps. I'm hoping it's the radiator and not the water pump. I haven't heard of a secondary thermostat but will look into it. I'm new to these. Haven't noticed any collapsed hose. I opened the radiator when it was hot and the coolant went into the coolant bottle and when I start it up it went back in the radiator.

What have you serviced? And is it water or coolant mix? And are you sure you're bleeding all the air out? VQ's (if I remember correctly) are a little harder to bleed than VG's. I had that issue when my coolant level was too low and had the A/C on.

-Kyle

2000 should have the vg 3.3. Look for a bleeder on top of the intake plenum, if you did a drain, flush, fill without purging the air out it could be the cause of your issue. The 3.3 does not have a secondary thermostat like the 3.5

• Like 1

Update I changed the radiator and clutch fan so far no temp rising. I bought a new fan clutch and I had to get longer studs to put the new fan clutch on cause the plate was thicker then the original one. Went to another part store and it was the same thickness. Weird but got it working. Has anyone ran on to that problem before?

so far so good on not getting hot. but im still adding coolant every few days. oil looks good and not milky. i thought it did have a blown head gasket cause the cap looks milky but the oil isnt. like i said i had it tested for a blown head gasket twice but 2 mechanics. i see no leaks dunno what else to look for.

Glad to hear your temp issue is gone. As for adding coolant, did you purge the air from the system? It could be that air is working itself out with repeated warm up cycles therefore dropping the level (unless you've been adding a lot). A milky appearance on the bottom of the oil cap is not uncommon, especially when shorter trips occur frequently, this is a build up of condensation.

I ran it till the fluid came straight out with out any air. It over heated a little sitting in the parking lot. Added coolant. Right now we just started to over heat getting on the highway pulled over the coolant looked good. To the radiator cap off felt nuked but all the fluid bursted out. Added coolant again and it's running cool. Dunno what's going on here.

Sometimes the cap feels cold and the top radiator house soft with barely any water in it and the bottom hose feels like nothing in it. Could this be the water pump or air in the system?

Did you purge from the bleeder on top of the intake plenum? Trapped air in the cooling system can cause inconsistent temps, overheating and cavitation. Make sure during the bleeding process it gets warm enough to get full flow through the thermostat.

Edited by 01Pathmaker

Yes I took the bolt off when it was cooling off when I replaced the radiator. I ran it till solid fluid was coming out. Thanks but I don't know where coolant going.

Ok so my brother in law took it in and said the oil sensor by the filter was leaking so they replaced it and said the oil was over filled by 1qt weird I only put 5. They purged it. Just have to see if the water disappear.

I don't know what's going on with this truck still uses coolant and over heats still going up hill. had it looked at yesterday. They purged it. I'm thinking bad thermostat? Where would the coolant be going? Its not in the oil or transmission.