New Maryland Member

GHoztt

Heyo,

So I signed up awhile back with my then 1994 Pathfinder SE but due to military requirements ran out of time to actually frequent the board. Apologies! Quick intro - 32yr old Army military vet with a deep loyalty to Nissan and an all-out car enthusiast of everything car related. Currently residing in Ellicott City area of Maryland, I am a well traveled international and domestic individual with many hobbies. Now on to the vehicles!

I recently traded in my '94 Pathy SE at a used car dealer for a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE Platinum! While I miss my older '94, it needed some TLC that my busy schedule did not allow for ( As a previous Nissan seasoned tech I do all my own repairs/maint). I always wanted a 2004 ever since it rolled off the trucks at the dealer and I finally have one! While my plans for it are relatively conservative (occasional weekend warrior/mainly daily driver), I would like to meet up with some fellow enthusiasts to talk about options and make it out to some off-road adventures from time to time and want to make sure the '04 Path is setup and prepared for some fun! I am no stranger to modding my vehicles as I have had multiple performance oriented types in the past.

M4jrp92.jpg

c7inGue.jpg

FiXiAdu.jpg

huhnBqg.jpg

ENSGqaK.jpg

My weekend car currently is a Gunmetal Grey 1992 Nissan Skyline GTR w/ moderate modifications that I take to various racing circuits around the USA!

In addition to this I also have had a '94 Nissan 300zx 2+2 N/A, and a '94 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo w/ 479 rwhp/495 rwtq (sport 530 ball bearing turbos, etc), as well as other vehicles of various nature.

• Like 1

Thanks for the intro, I'm looking forward to some pics you took while enjoying your pathfinder! (First pic I thought, "that looks like a dealer pic" then noticed the watermark)

Platinum! Rare truck, very nice!

Is your GTR road legal at all? (AKA, Motorex got it road legal, before he got busted with phony crash tests)

If not, I'm sure you're ready for 2017 to roll around? Unless of course, this thing is now a dedicated track monster! You'll need to post some pics of of your Pathfinder next to the GTR.

Welcome aboard!

Platinum! Rare truck, very nice!

Is your GTR road legal at all? (AKA, Motorex got it road legal, before he got busted with phony crash tests)

If not, I'm sure you're ready for 2017 to roll around? Unless of course, this thing is now a dedicated track monster! You'll need to post some pics of of your Pathfinder next to the GTR.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks! Yeah I really enjoy the truck, still rides like new. Looking forward to doing a few things and take it on some mild trails. Need to find myself a local group to meet up with!

Yes, the GTR is road legal as it was a Motorex car back in the day (one of the rare R32's that got grandfathered). It's only mildly tuned at the moment, basic bolt-ons with a bit of brake and suspension upgrades. I will do my best to get the pics your looking for this week. I haven't taken the side-by-side shots yet and currently am awaiting a full detail on both vehicles. So, just solo pics for now!

Thanks CDN_S4,

Yeah, I really enjoy the options this vehicle came with and it was so clean. The only disappointing thing to me was the tires are not really off-road worthy, I'll need to change that in the next few months.

Edited by GHoztt

^^ upgraded tires is a MUST anyway! At least you got the best pathfinder rims Nissan makes with this!

SO what's the opinion on tires these days for someone like myself? Know I will be daily driving this as well.

I ran with Kumho Road Venture AT KL78's on my older Pathy, they seemed decent and wouldn't mind going with those again, but how do they fare on more aggressive off-road trials?

It depends on your needs, your exploring type and your climate.

I you do a lot of daily driving with the occasional light off road trails, maybe even get some snow, an All Terrain tire like the BFG AT is a good option.

If you are more of an off-road warrior and frequently get into mud and rocks, the BFG KM2's or Toyo Open Country MT or similar Mud Terrain tire will be best. But in light snow these are terrible. However in deep snow they are decent.

Those are basically the 2 extremes. In the middle you have people like me that really like the Goodyear Duratrac. An awesome all around tire, great off-road, outstanding in snow (can also be studded), and they are very quiet on road. I also find tread wear to be excellent. Also the price can't be beat for the quality. Only downside (from what I hear) they aren't as puncture resistant as others on trails. That being said I've beaten mine up over all kinds of terrain anywhere between 10-20 PSI and have zero complaints or issues. Some people with Kevlar sidewalls or other reinforced sidewalls like the Toyo Open Country hardly even deflate. A buddy of mine had his at 10 PSI as well and the sidewalls didn't even bulge.

This should give you a good place to start. There is TONS of info on here and all over the internet on this subject, so knock yourself out.

Edited by CDN_S4