Maps, Apps and Gadgets. Off Road stuff..

RCAR50

So I was wondering what folks here are using as far as off road GPS or trip records. I like having a log of where I've been, I just think it's interesting.

I always have my Garmin Nuvi on board along with my phone and have recently downloaded "My Tracks" and "Trail Offroad" from the play store. I haven't had a chance to use either but they look somewhat useful.

I have always liked the idea of an inclinometer but never had one. Anybody find them useful, I like it just for the idea of knowing how extreme of an angle your on at the time, not really for avoiding a roll over...more just for story telling and fun.

As far as maps go, I usually just stumble across trails and if needed follow my GPS trail back to civilization.

Another member has recently suggested I look into a book or two from Tony Huegel that maps numerous trails and off road trip directions, I have yet to do so, but that got me thinking that there has to be a few real good apps or gadgets out there that are useful when wheelin.

Anyway, just thought it would be nice to share what we use while out on the trail...so let's hear em'!

Edited by RCAR50

So the two apps I downloaded are not very good. The inclinometer app says I'm about to tip over anytime I accelerate or turn too quickly.

I feel like I'm talking to myself here....

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I give up.... I'm going to download all the bestest apps that make my pathy the best and not share them with anybody. ...:P

Hahahaha J/k .I just thought this would be a cool collection of tools we use.

Edited by RCAR50

I just use the backroad mapbook and other local topographic atlas, like the DeLorme Gazetteer. I have my Garmin wrist GPS as a backup in case I need to get a grid reference. Not very sophisticated but this seems to work for me so far.

Ok. I give up.... I'm going to download all the bestest apps that make my pathy the best and not share them with anybody. ...

Hahahaha J/k .I just thought this would be a cool collection of tools we use.

Lol, looks like this post got buried below other topics.

I have a hiking app and it works ok but the places I've gone I've been riding dirt bikes at for years so I know them pretty well.

I installed clinometer in mine because I wanted to make sure I didn't roll over, the movement from them is pretty normal when turning/braking etc. because of the mechanical nature of their function.

Anyway hanging out in the garage tonight, enjoying a beer and watching this thing they call RAIN! Cheers!c77437b103dc7e5ff4ee656625d73334.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk