Transfercase switch operation?

Dma251

I am having trouble getting my 4x4 light to function and have narrowed it down to the switches.

I think both of mine are bad. Can anyone clarify the operation of the two switches for me? Why did they use two in series?

I think its off to the junkyard for more tomorrow. I had two others in my parts-pathy but they are both bad also. Is this a commonly failing part?

They sure aren't easy to remove once the threadsealer hardens, with those rounded shoulders....

What do the switches have on them? Where are they located, in front of you just lower of the dashboard or next to the hand brake? On mine the switches just lower of the dash are the transmission power/hold/auto switch, this switch is to put auto trans into power mode or hold mode is for keeping it in 2nd gear from a standing start. Then I have warning lights switch which makes all indicators flash if I have pull off the side of the road in an emergency situation. Then I have on the right hand side a defog switch, to defog the rear window (doesn't really work that well) and just below that I have rear window release switch which works great although I hardly use it.

one switch runs off the FWD fork and the other switch runs off the Hi-Lo Fork.
Both switches must be closed to turn the light on this makes the light turn off when the t-case is neutral (between hi and lo)

FWD fork:
-FWD engaged closed
-FWD disengaged open

Hi-Lo fork:
-Hi closed
-N open
-Lo closed

• Like 1