New Guy looking for some tips!

mrinnis

Hey, new to the site, new to car mechanics in general. I just bought a 98 Pathfinder for a good deal. As can be expected it needs some work and I'd like to take on a few of the projects myself. Learning as I go so excuse the inexperience. Gotta start somewhere.

SO, a couple things i am looking at are….

1) I have identified a blown link that is attached to my transmission right behind the rear mount. Wondering what that part is called so i can order a new one and try to put it in. I think it may be the cause of a "Clunk" that happens regularly as I go over bumps. Feels and sounds like something heavy is bouncing around a bit. Not crazy, sounds as if there is something heavy with a loose bolt that just bounces a mm or 2. Can't be recreated by manually bouncing the front end. Any ideas?

2) I have to replace the rear upper control arms. Worn out bushings. But i just bought entirely new control arms. Is that a complicated job? They don't seem to be taking weight when parked. Can I just pull the bolts and slide in the new parts or do i have to have the suspension jacked up or stabilized in some way?

That's where I am going to start anyway. Any help appreciated.

cheers
Innis

First things first, Congrats and welcome!

next down load a copy of the FSM (service manual) from this site in the appropriate section.

Then, go and get a copy of the Hayne's or Chilton's Manual for your truck...these all offer step by step instructions for everything to fix your truck.

get a jack and jackstands some metric tools and you'll be on your way,

A good buddy to help doesn't hurt either.