93 Pathfinder in fail-safe (limp home) mode

Jacklalanne

I have a 93 Pathfinder 4WD SE-V6 that is stuck in fail-safe (limp home) mode. I have done all the self-diagnostics outlined in the AT factory service manual. At the end of the process the "Power" light is supposed to blink out a series of codes. I get nothing. Utilizing the rest of the troubleshooting processes in the FSM I have narrowed the issue down to the "revolution sensor".

I tested for revolution sensor pin voltage on the TCM while driving down the road and get 0V at the pins (pins 15-16...16 is ground), rather than the 1V at 19 mph that then rises gradually with an increase in speed (I checked rest of the voltages on the TCM and all other 34 pins are reading correct voltages).

Before I buy a new sensor though I want to make sure it is bad and that I don't just have a bad/broken electrical connection between the sensor and the underhood connection at the other end. The FSM provides an ohm reading (500-650 ohms between terminals 1 and 2) that should be obtained at the under-hood end of the sensor connector if the sensor is good. I have physically traced the wire from the sensor itself to where it disappears up the inside of the firewall next to the A/T dipstick, but for the life of me I can't pick it back up again when looking from under the hood (and believe me, I have spent enough time physically crawling up under the hood trying to find it). Does anyone know where I can find a diagram that would show the physical location of the connector on the other end of the sensor wire (under the hood) so that I can check it for proper tolerances and then replace it if necessary? I'm really stuck (and frustrated) on this one.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help you can provide.

Regards,

Russ

It should be in a little tree of connectors on the passenger side. Almost right behind the power steering fluid thing. Unless someone has messed with it before, then it may just be laying near there somewhere.

• Like 1

Thanks...I was thinking it must be one of those, but none of them have the correct wire colors (white and red). One has a red, black and white but they are larger gauge wires than the ones leaving the revolution sensor. Though the sensor itself only has two wires coming off of it, the connector is supposed to have 3-wires to test the resistance on, but I can't find any info designating the colors I should look for.

Also, I dropped the tranny pan yesterday (had to sawzall the exhaust crossover to get it off) and changed the filter. When I did that, I tried to remove the transmission support member so I can lower the tranny enough to get at the sensor. With the support loose but still in place, I can barely reach up in and get a couple of fingers on the sensor, but there is no way I can remove it without lowering the A/T another inch or two. If I could actually remove the trans support I'm sure I could get it, but the torsion bars prevent me from working it out of there. Do you know if I have to remove one of them to get it out, or am I missing something? I was under the understanding that torsion bars are under quite a bit of tension/pressure and am wondering if there are any special precautions to take when removing one. Thanks again, Russ

You should be able to remove the trans support without taking the bars off. I've done it before, it just wiggled out. I know which connector you're talking about. I can look at my pics when I get home.

Also, on the trans support bars, can the two studs in the center that had the nuts on them come out completely? I was thinking if I ran one (or two) of the nuts partway on them I might be able to pop them out with a hammer if they are just pressed in, but if they're spot welded I don't want to be trying to force something out that isn't intended to come out. If I could remove them, I think I may be able to work the supports out of there and lower the trans enough to get the sensor out.