Front Axle: Rattle:

FriedEGs

So, in diagnosing my front end rattle, I discovered that the front drivers axle has a bunch of up and down movement inside the hub. It's as if the diameter of the through axle part is much smaller than the diameter of the hub opening. (This is not a new problem, I just bought the truck with this issue, about 3 months ago.)

The spline or axle shaft does not show any signs of wear. The inside of the hub appears to be fine, as well.

The only thing I can think of is that the previous owner may have replaced this axle with a similar but incorrect replacement part#.

I might swap this driver's side axle onto the passenger side, to figure out if it is the hub or that particular axle.

Any ideas?!

Edited by FriedEGs

The spline should be a tight fit in the drive flange of the R50. IIRC, it is 28 spline and the same diameters as the 90-95 WD21s so hopefully someone can measure one for you?

I'd take the flange off and check it for for wear/damage, it might need replacing as well. There is definitely a case of a wrong part or something here, there should be no slop and no clanking/rattling. At least you can measure the axle shaft without removing it, I'm sure the dimensions can be looked up...

B

Thanks guys, I figured it out. I took out the original shaft and went down to my local Advance Auto and compared to a new one. Immediately, I noticed that the original was missing the metal bracket/collar, at the large end of the race. (Gold collar on the bottom of the pic, below)

Advance had a nice quality unit and I got it for a nice price for it an no core charge. Installed, no more issues!

41bi2eR9aJL.jpg

Edited by FriedEGs