Vibration in 4wd after lift

NovaPath

So I engaged my 4wd today for the first time after my lift to pull out onto a slippery road, and noticed that I have picked up a pretty severe vibration above 30mph while on the gas, in 4wd. Logic tells me the only drive line mechanical change while in 4wd after the lift would be the cv angles, and I must have a bad cv. Anyone with experience on this? 4wd was perfectly smooth not more than 2 days before the lift; so I doubt it is a coincidence. Gotta be a cv axle right??

vibrations can be anything form bad cv's to bad tires, or struts, even a loose bolt. I'd look at it one item at a time. re-torque all the fasteners first. maybe rotate your tires, check cv's. basicly brake it down to identify the problem. I had horrible vibrations at high way speeds after my lift install with wheel spacers. turned out it was a bad new strut. You'll figure it out. just take your time.

I'd bet it's a CV issue , does it feel like it's coming from both wheels or just one ?

Mine does it on the drivers side , it's something that elicits an immediate "holy crappola , WTF was that !" the first time you feel it and it doesn't feel like any front end type of problem you've felt before .

It will make you get off the gas QUICK....

When I did my lift I put in new CV's (Cardone IIRC) brake rotors , calipers pads , tie rod ends , wheel bearings , and MM hubs .

My mechanic said the rest of the front end was pretty solid .

When I tested 4wd on a gravel road I had noise coming from the passenger CV at low speed .

I replaced that side with a NAPA brand CV and the noise went away .

All was well , or so I thought...

First time I "got on it" on a snowy road I felt what I think you did from the drivers side , still a Cardone unit .

Last winter was a mild one and I didn't need 4wd much so I let it slide .

Through a few mudholes during spring/summer I thought I'd feel it but didn't , even when on the gas pretty hard .

Come this winter I still feel it at 30+ , a little milder probably due to the springs settling a bit but it's still there .

It seems worse when there isn't a lot of snow , the deeper the snow the less I feel it .

I've had my hubs locked all winter and the past few times I've done a tight slow speed left hander into a parking spot I hear what sounds like the CV chattering .

In 2wd with Pro Comp steel wheels and 32" STT's I have a little wobble at about 45 , but I can still take both hands off the wheel and it goes straight as an arrow .

I read lots of CV threads here before I did my lift and it seems they are somewhat of a crapshoot .

Someone said they had luck with O'Reilly's brand , I got (1) good one at NAPA so I'll be trying another and hoping for the best .

Edited by Beatup96

Thanks for the input guys. I've been thinking about it more, and I think it must have to be the CV joints. The front driveshaft, while symptoms are similar and certainly could be a culprit, did not change when I installed the lift. The angles of the cv joints, however, have changed considerably. I did double check all of the bolts and all is tight.

Could it be the CV's binding?

Check your front ujoint first.. If the vibration is not there in 2wd and that you did not installed manual hubs (I assume), then the cv are turning the same in 2wd... I remember at one point I had the same symptom on my own truck and it was the front ujoint. Look for my post in here..

S.

Thanks Fleurys, but why would that show up immediately after the lift? The U joint angles haven't changed?

Love the skid plate btw!

You're right..my bad... If it was in the back it could have been the ujoints, but like you said in the front , the ujoint angles don't change... Sorry.

I like this idea Fleury's, I always forget that option. I have ordered some manual hubs so it's not like I need to worry about lifespan as they will hardly ever be used unless I'm off road.