Is my block cracked?

OKRoad

(sorry if this is in the wrong area of the forum, first post here)

I was out on the trail in my 92 pathy with a VG30e and got a little overconfident and drove through a puddle a bit too deep for my stock-mobile. My cold air intake took in some water and the engine locked up.

I was thinking/hoping I bent a valve, but after getting the timing belt off, both cams turn normally, but the crank is still completely frozen. My next step is to drain the oil and look for water/coolant, is there anything else I should do? Any chance I didn't crack the block and/or this isn't going to require an engine swap? I don't know much frankly, just trying to work through this with my handy-dandy Chilton manual and forum-help.

Thanks.

Did you try to turn the crank with the plugs out or in? Did you leave it sitting there for a while or was this "water crossing" very recently?

The plugs are out, and the crossing was about two weeks ago.

If that does turn out to be the case how difficult would replacing a rod be? I've done a couple t belts, half a tranny swap; would this be something I could tackle? Am I going to be banging my head against the thing for a month if I get into the block? (given that I have a vg30e sitting in the garage and a local Nissan guy who could do the swap cheap)

I'd try to pickup one of numerous pathfinders on Seattle Craigslist with a good motor and bad auto. There is one in Monroe right now for $400. Several more for $500.

You'll have a much great chance of success getting back on the road by just swapping out a stock motor, plus you will have a great parts rig left over to pick from in the future or collect scrap value from ($200-$300).

There's no telling what kind of damage you are going to find once you're inside your motor, and you may still need to machine work done. Just too much headache....

Thats my .02 cents, anyhow. Been there, done that, and still have the knuckle scars to prove it.

Good luck!

I'd try to pickup one of numerous pathfinders on Seattle Craigslist with a good motor and bad auto. There is one in Monroe right now for $400. Several more for $500.

You'll have a much great chance of success getting back on the road by just swapping out a stock motor, plus you will have a great parts rig left over to pick from in the future or collect scrap value from ($200-$300).

I'm actually closer to Portland here in the Columbia Gorge, but the idea works on Portland Craigslist too, and it's looking more and more like that's what I'm gonna do. If my tranny swap was an indicator of the difficulty of this, that may be more knuckle scars than I want to pick up right now.

Thanks for the help everyone!