Engine Noise

Guest 87milpathfinder

Guest 87milpathfinder

Greetings,

I own an 87 Pathfinder w/ 150k miles on it, and my engine has recently started making a ticking/clicking sound. I checked under the common problems and read about the exhaust bolt issue, however the noise occurs when I have been driving at highway speeds (at 4000RPM - no overdrive) for about 20-30 mins. when I return to a slower RMP, the noise diminishes and the disappears after about one min. Also, the speed of clicking/ticking is proportional to the engine RMP. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

JP

almost sounds like your oil pump is loosing it's prime at higher RPMs. Could be a bad or cloged screen. Have your oil changes been done at regular 3000 mile intervals? You could drop your oil pan and check the pump for clogs or do an engine flush, install an oil pressure guauge and see what kinda oil pressure you get. :shrug:

Denis

Guest 87milpathfinder

Oil pressure gauge shows up good, however, the oil light come on occasionally after coming off freeway even when oil is topped off.

if the noise quiets when you accelerate wide open or while coasting..  sounds like it might be the woodpeckers movin in. (rod knock - spun bearing)  hard to say

I agree ... usually an indication of a poor break-in on a new engine ... hows the compression? ... would be worth a check as well for any possible cracks or broken rings ... oil pump could be a source of noise too ... take it to someone else or a shop and get a second opinion ....

Edited by MatterHorn

Guest 87milpathfinder

The oil pressure shows up fine when the light comes on. I'm going to try a engine flush soon. More info soon.