Question regarding MT fluid change

kev9180

Thank You... $50 is reasonable... But begs the question, would you spend $25 more and get the Redline MT Synthetic? I can find that locally and wouldn't have to pay for shipping.

You are welcome.

I no longer have a MT Pathy, but put fresh 4 quarts 80-w90 GL4 and one quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer in it when I did and had no issues other than a hard first gear shift on cold morning for the first mile. It was at about 140k and no gear whine though...

Everyone seems to love the MT-90, talk about smooth shifting, no cold issues, etc but I never had a chance to use it.

Will either fix or delay your issue? Maybe, but that is a hard thing to say.

Will MT-90 do a better job/increase the odds? Probably, but I can't say how much.

Depends on what that $25 means to you... :shrug:

For what it is worth, the manual trannys seem to degrade rather than catastrophically fail, there have been a lot of members that drove noisy trannys for a long time.

B

MT90 helped my tired transmission a lot. Cut down on the whining and it shifts really good for its age especially when cold. Warm is better yes, but the most notable difference is in the cold. GM Syncromesh is also GL4 and cheaper. I paid $60ish for the MT90 at a local parts store.

Really hope I can get another 3 years out of my pathy to get it back to Tucson. Desert weather would be so much better than out here in western Illinois

Edited by kev9180

Also, MT90 helped me a lot as well. Smoother shifting and don't notice the whine. I just got the vehicle last month and changed the mt fluid as soon as possible though

Mine seems to shift okay... Just whines louder than I would like. Tranny fluid condition is unknown but I'm thinking it might be fresh. When I bought it a few months back the previous owner seems to have changed everything. I did the rear diff 2 weeks ago and brand new fluid came out. The oil filter had a date written on it. I think she did this for the sale... Too bad all the other items weren't taken care of. $25 is nothing, a few cups of coffee and a couple of bucks on a lottery ticket.

Good to hear that it make things quieter. I looked into rebuilding it myself and that looks like a CRAZY process.

ANOTHER

$25 is nothing, a few cups of coffee and a couple of bucks on a lottery ticket.

Good to hear that it make things quieter. I looked into rebuilding it myself and that looks like a CRAZY process.

Good to hear! Drain it out and overfill it up...

I hope you get the same results others do. These really are stout little rigs and usually worth a little bit of TLC.

B