electric fan

jason

Okay I replaced the stock fan with an electric one last weekend, got the thermostat/relay combo from schucks. The employee told me to put the probe type sensor in the radiator hose, which I discovered was wrong once I let the engine heat up and THEN read the directions.

The directions say put the probe in the radiator fins just below the hose. The fan still won't turn on. I checked the fuse, ground wires, and the fan. Everything's kosher there. My question is this: Is it possible that putting the probe in the hose and letting in run hot (about 3/4 up the temp guage, the coolant was boiling) caused damage to the thermostat? Or do I still have the sensor in the wrong place?

Oh yeah, it's an adjustable thermostat, and I set it all the way down (80 degrees?).

Nothin'.

Edited by jason

Before I put anything in there I connected the blue wire directly from the fan the positive battery terminal, and the black wire to the negative terminal (those are the only two wires out of the fan), and it turned on. How do I test the relay?