Tires (Size)

daczone

Wake up from his dream... :tongue:

Okay so I have the HG46 code. It's an SE that came with the 31" tires. My RPM's don't seem too back at 55. So I have the lower gearing? Higher RPM?

1:4.63 gears, so taller gearing=less RPM.

31" tires give the best mileage on a stock pathy...I could squeeze almost 24mpg out of mine.

Again, depends on the axle gearing and tranny type., even speed limit and terrain.

The general concensus is to run less than 3,000 rpm but over 2,500rpm at cruising speed or it may bog a little and/or downshift on slopes or headwind. This is with a stock VG30 of course; most people report increased power but the same mileage with a VG33 transplant.

Simply too many variables to say 'this tire size is the best'...

B

1:4.63 gears, so taller gearing=less RPM.

I thought higher numerical gearing = lower gear.. IE: 1st - 4th gears are all more than 1:1 So higher numerical = higher RPM. 1:4.63 is higher than the 1:4.3 so more RPM's

If you went with real big tires you'd want an even lower gear (higher number) 1:5.x to compenstate for the tire size.

I'm Confused

Semantics, really. You have the right idea so don't be confused.

Low gear/high gears VS tall/short gears. Why a 'tall' gear would have lower ratio is bass-ackwards to me, must be based on visual comparison... :shrug:

"Tall" gears and "short" gears are referring to the gear ratios. Tall (high) gears have LOWER numerical numbers such as 2.79, 2.90, 3.00, 3.25. Short (low) gears have HIGHER numerical numbers, such as 4.11, 4.30, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13, 5.36, etc.

B