Climate Control swap?

Procrastinational

I searched and found one thread on this, which ended before much useful information was shared...

I found a very cheap '98 Qx4 in my area that I was considering for parts.

What I'm wondering is how challenging it would be to swap over the digital climate control? I'd have all of the parts, I'm just wondering if it is some massive task, or whether it's a fairly straightforward swap and drop.

In case that's too challenging, another related question: my AC condenser has been toast for a while... would the AC condenser from a 98 qx4 be the same as the one in my 99 Chilkoot (basically an XE) model?

condenser should be the same....

as for the climate control, I don't know. I tried to install the mirror and digital compass/clock from a qx4 into my LE however I didn't have the wiring harness and sensors that go along with it.

condenser should be the same....

as for the climate control, I don't know. I tried to install the mirror and digital compass/clock from a qx4 into my LE however I didn't have the wiring harness and sensors that go along with it.

Good to know with the condenser. At the very least I could swap that, and then maybe the seats (and probably the carpet so that they matched). And then the door panels, which would mean all the interior panels except for the dash... Amazing how quickly DIY projects can escalate in scale :blush:

Would the tail lights be a direct swap? I know the post-facelift ones have separate reverse lights, but how about the 97-99 models?

Normally I wouldn't bother attempting something like this, as it would be complicated to source every part necessary. However, in this case every part I need should be on the qx4, right? Meaning all the wiring harness and sensors...

Does the base model come with the necessary mounting points pre-drilled and empty? Seems to me it would be cheaper to make a car the same across all models for that type of thing.

I was also debating swapping in the overhead console, but I figure it might look tacky to have sunroof switches and no sunroof. I noticed some facelift models have an overhead console with the temp/compass but no sunroof. Would one of those work?

I was also debating swapping in the overhead console, but I figure it might look tacky to have sunroof switches and no sunroof. I noticed some facelift models have an overhead console with the temp/compass but no sunroof. Would one of those work?

this is what I tried to do. you'll need to grab the wiring harness that goes with it. it fallows the roof liner and goes down the A pillar. I figured all the trucks would be wired alike. Nope.

Also, while you'd think the body panels would be the same between Pathfinder and QX4 they are not. I replaced my driver side front fender with one off of a same year QX4 and lo and behold it fit but the marker light is a different shape so there is a 3/4 in gap that I filled with metal tape and black paint. and the fender top line does not match the hood line there is a slight hump (about 1/4in) that sits a little higher than the hood.

there are very slight differences between Pathfinder and QX4.

Sounds like a neat project, something I'd love to do one day.

As far as the climate control. I want to say yes, it will swap. But it's VERY involved. The best way to get it done with minimal headaches further down the road, like hunting wiring gremlins and such. Is to just pull the dash and take everything related to the HVAC and pull it out. Then pull everything out of the QX4, related to HVAC and put in back in place.

I've wanted to do something like that with the LE platinum pathfinders. Ideally a full interior swap. But I can dream. Lol

Let us know how it goes. I can look into to wiring diagram and part numbers to see what exactly is different.

-Kyle

Unfortunately the QX4 I found for cheap had a few vital components damaged when it was wrecked :thumbsdown: Took a look at it the other day. Seemed like it must have been hit pretty hard on the passenger front fender, as everything in the dash on the right side was a bit mangled, and the HVAC screen was no longer functional.

I'll have to keep looking for another donor vehicle.