New motor tech, what do you have to share?

Precise1

While advancements in electronics have been good at an insane rate, material science, computer modeling and of course said electronics, have advanced greatly to make motor systems that are simply amazing. Looking at the venerable VG30 (or VG33) that most of us run (as reliable as it is) compared to modern options puts it to shame; and bigger isn't better... ;)

While some of these motor systems aren't appropriate for a Pathfinder, it does make me wonder if it wouldn't be worth developing an entire swap kit for the WD21 and R50. These rigs would have a whole lot more use and life if they could have 200+hp and get 20-25mpg.

Some insane motorcycle tech: A 1 liter, supercharged, inline 4 cylinder making 300 hp! I ride superbikes, and that scares the crap out of me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Ninja_H2

A hot VW inline 4 cylinder: 2 liter turbo putting out 300 hp (5,500 rpm) and 250 ft/lb (1,800+ rpm). Sure it is designed for front wheel drive, but it can be turned sideways... LD

http://fourtitude.com/features/Miscellaneous_Features_16/tech-analysis-next-generation-2-0-tfsi-for-new-audi-s3/

B

This is an interesting topic I've also kinda been toying with the idea of for a little while. Those are some incredible numbers those small displacement engines are putting up gained from forced induction. I'm more interested in how various engine engineers are re-inventing the wheel. These first two for me are really interesting and I think represent a large step forward for reciprocating piston derived combustion engine tech:

1. VW / Audi W12 http://testdrayvavto.info/uploads/taginator/May-2012/audi-w12-engine-photo.jpgThis thing is totally insane! I only recently, maybe in the last 6 months learned this even existed. I never knew that someone had gone and stacked two v6 engines one on top of the other. This is a 12 cylinder engine that pretty much fits in the space of a large v6 engine, and when you watch the video of one being built...it's pretty incredible. This thing is a monster! http://youtu.be/slQ9E1s1FuQ

2. Mazda Sky Activ G engines: This is a whole family of engines of lesser or greater displacement but to make my point I'm just going with the 2.0 rated at 155 hp and 150 lb / ft of torque getting 28 mpg in the CITY and 41 HWY (damn!!!) running a "lower" compression ratio of 13 to 1 running on regular! I think that is just great...I mean I know the Honda / Acura kings have been bangin out high hp from a B18 with VTEC for years but not with 150 lbs of torque, running on 87 octane. I think this is a huge accomplishment and happy for Mazda. This kinda makes me want a Mazda 3.

Now I'm going to step out of the box a bit.

3. The Axial / Dyna cam engine:

uhhhh...interesting, right?? The Duke engine:
I like it, I think this is good looking tech. I like the simplicity, the lesser amount of parts, it follows a 2 stroke power design with combustion at every cycle..sort of. Apparently they used these in airplanes but why don't we see more of this in our daily lives in other applications?

Given that auto makers and engineers are really reaching now to up the ante and get that next step (Audi W12 anyone?), why not experiment with some of these Axial engine types? Wankel had his turn, where's everyone else at? Let's mix it up!

Edited by gv280z

s3-motor-cutaway.jpg

What are these two small chain driven gears (below the pistons?) attached to? There are 3 drive chains coming off the crankshaft. Of course I know the long one is running up to the cam shafts....are those oil pumps?