Hello from Upstate NY

unclfstr

Hello everyone,

I just picked up a new to me 1998 Pathfinder this weekend. Not too bad: 182k, 5-speed and manual options (windows & locks). I need to fix a few things such as sticky locks and leaky valve cover gaskets, but it runs real good.

I had a few questions for the group as far as what I should do first to make sure this lasts me a few years. I had planned on changing all the fluids as I don't think they have ever been done. I also ordered new drive belts and a fuel filter. I don't know whether or not the timing belt was done, but I figured by this point it would have gone south if it wasn't replaced. I have the carfax that lists out the first few owners and I am going to try to get in touch with the dealers that did service it and see what records they have. Any other advice? Im not afraid to do my own work but it does become a pain when there is 2 feet of snow on the ground...

I did one of those online VIN checks but it doesn't say much; does anyone know if it is possible to get a copy of the original window sticker or build sheet?

What part of upsate you, from I'm in the Corning Elmira area

Unless you get a mileage and year that the timing belt was changed i would do it mine was changed at 160xxx aand then sat for a year and broke at 179xxx so i would do it

Edited by thorpe991

being in a rust state. I'd check for rust in the strut towers. there is a sticky thread on here somewhere. If all is good I'd go to town with a few cans of your favourite rust inhibitor.

oh and lets see some pics please.

I'm sorry it took so long to get these up... 5a71e32fcd012b5d84015b43b8a2b33f.jpgcb00295ff1435d7dfe1cffbee6ca4c32.jpg

I was finally able to spend a little time with it yesterday and found that the rear bumper reinforcement is bent pretty good... I guess I will have to replace it eventually. Valve covers drip a little so I ordered a Felpro set that will be here next week.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed all my fluids today and all I have to say is holy tightness! I don't think anything other than engine oil has been changed in this since it was new; the diffs and transfer case plugs still had factory sealant on them and I needed a 4 foot breaker bar to get the plugs out...