road trip fuel puzzler

PINION

so, I am 3/4 through my trip from ny to nv

to the point

Truck preforming wonderfly, not even burning oil

today

cruise on, 73 mph, 2700 rpm, throttle drops out like the cable snapped (wtf), if any one here has a manual you know how it feels when you just pull out of throttle.

anywho, so I turn off cruise, and start loosing speed up hill, then up incline, ( in wy at this point, lots of incline)

1/4 tank of gas.

no power when in throttle, no bucking or anything other then truck just slowing. on the flat god as long as I don't put full throttle. wnet and gassed up. went nice for 29 miles then same issue continues. againg no other symptoms other then all of a sudden fab fuel mileage. truck has power, just not under load. Im thinking fuel filter clogged. Did 80 for another 200+ miles. just no power under load.

i'm thinking exactly the same, fuel filter, or fuel pump is dying, for your sake i hope its the filter, but its not hard to change, just a 10mm! (i think its a ten)

-Kyle

EDIT: Your profile pic is scary...

Edited by ferrariowner123
  • Like 1

replaced the fuel filter roadside in Salt Lake, weehaa.

much better. Although tires 3

' bigger and loaded down with several hundred pounds of my sh#t doesn't help im sure, lol

• Like 1

is much better fixed?

I'd recommend running some sort of injector cleaner, one that doesn't mess up your injectors. i think chevron has one that does great for that. gimme a second.

-Kyle

EDIT: This stuff, the fuel system cleaner, NOT THE INJECTOR CLEANER!! http://www.amazon.com/Chevron-65740-Techron-Concentrate-Cleaner/dp/B00092893E

Edited by ferrariowner123

Techron is chevrons, I ran save the pieces (STP) , couldn't find techron on the road. and yes the filter change did the job.

after that down shifting helped too

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Turns out, once I dropped to lower elevation it went back to beast mode. So, I will be returning to the west and to higher elevations. Whats the difference, do you have larger injectors or something. Or is this a Pathy issue at higher elevations. HMMM

grrr_zps50795f8d.jpg

• Like 2

We take our QX4 from the desert floor at 2,500' to Ouray, CO and do passes that are typically between 10-13K' and it never skips a beat.

I would think it's not altitude unless you have a sensor that is not working correctly.

Turns out, once I dropped to lower elevation it went back to beast mode. So, I will be returning to the west and to higher elevations. Whats the difference, do you have larger injectors or something. Or is this a Pathy issue at higher elevations. HMMM

grrr_zps50795f8d.jpg

Honestly, the PCM should compensate for the elevation difference. Carbureted, not so much. What you probably experienced was air filter freeze up. Snow gets caught up in the air box, melts enough to moisten the filter element and then refreeze with the influx of freezing cold atmosphere. Used to happen ALOT when I worked as a mechanic in Alaska, same symptoms as your issue. No real fix for it other than rerouting warm air from the engine bay. My 2 cents for what it's worth.

Bubba.....

this was all before that pick, that's east coast beast mode. no issues that day. the pic was for fun. this only happened above 3k feet, no snow. the whole month I was in Nevada and Southlake. didn't stop being an issue till I hit Nebraska, elevation around 2k. no issues east of there.

In theory high elevation air has less oxygen, and therefore creates less power in the motor. But as was mentioned, the ECU already knows this and can tune the majority of it out with different fuel parameters. So I don't think mine sees noticeable "altitude sickness" for this reason. For me, even with the VQ, you notice weight if you have a lot of gear going up a long grade, maybe that's what you're noticing. Over the summer, consistently sitting at 7k or above in Northern Arizona and New Mexico, I noticed no power loss when going up hills, and I usually reside at 30' of elevation on the coast.

I thought that with the gear on the way there, but was there for a month and was consistent. I think there is an issue with engine management at this point. It has a Knock sensor code, but even a Nissan Mech. said that shouldn't cause the issue. I will let Nissan hook it up soon. I have to knock up my GF so I have a child to spare first though, I really like to other two and don't want to part with them.