4.11 or 4.89 gears?

troy

I recently lifted my 95' SE 4x4 5 speed and threw on 31/12.5'/r15 TSL super swampers on 15/12 weld super singles.. my car originally had alot of torque before the lift...because the swampers are the same diameter as the stocks...What kind of gear ratio would give me more torque for that tire size and still leave me with some speed??

Edited by troy

I recently lifted my 95' SE 4x4 5 speed and threw on 31/12.5'/r15 TSL super swampers on 15/12 weld super singles.. my car originally had alot of torque before the lift...because the swampers are the same diameter as the stocks...What kind of gear ratio would give me more torque for that tire size and still leave me with some speed??

With the diameter being the same, the main thing your fighting is the bigger mass of the wider tires. You can get the torque back with lower gears but at the cost of higher RPM's to reach the same MPH. There's really no way to have the same RPM without increase to engine HP, which is your 2nd option.

More HP or lower gears. What's your budget, and how much torque are you shooting for.

I went to a SBC V8 with 4.88 gears and that solved the problems of RPM and power. Am going to 35" tires soon.

Thanks V8path..but my budget is limited...wouldn't different tires besides super swampers have better rolling capabilities ...because when I roll down a 15% grade in neutral I can only get up to55 -60 mph...would changing to mud grapplers or coopers give me a better edge?...the pathy does have some torque as is...I've heard that super chargers were made for pathys as well

I believe 4.62:1 is the ratio fitted to 1st gen Pathfinders with the factory 31inch tire option (usually sold as a package with LSD and rear disk and "sport" adjustable shocks, and probably a few other option bits as well). And yes, rotational mass is a monster in and of itself. Heavier wheels/tires can make a vehicle feel more "sluggish" than adding the same amount of static weight in, say, the trunk or hatch area. And it's murder on brakes for the same reason. However, when I was in the mountains back in July and struggling on some of the steep, high-altitude highway mountain passes at 10,000+ feet, I'd have preferred a supercharger to compensate for the thin air rather than a regear. Once the "little engine that could" struggle was over, I got to have my long legs back. On the way up I just locked it in "3", and when it got crazy locked it in "2" and was able to maintain 50mph. Oh, sure, the VG30E was buzzing at 3,000rpm for 30 minutes at a time, but it made it through like the little underpowered champ it is. :)

Thanks V8path..but my budget is limited...wouldn't different tires besides super swampers have better rolling capabilities ...because when I roll down a 15% grade in neutral I can only get up to55 -60 mph...would changing to mud grapplers or coopers give me a better edge?...the pathy does have some torque as is...I've heard that super chargers were made for pathys as well

My suggestion is to start with a set budget, and then go to work from there.

HP and torque is usually a factor of the following = know how (design and knowledge) and tools to DIY + ability to find or source the parts needed (ie. luck always helps) + amount of $ you have to spend

Diff gearing would be front and rear - that's not going to be budget friendly, unless you can find both sets of axles with the lower gearing already installed.

V8path..automatics have lower gearing in their differentials?? Am I wrong ?

Because I heard too that you could take axles from a 95' automatic and swap them with the ones I have now

1. Start with a budget and work from there.
  2. Do you know how much HP do you want or need?
  3. What is your level of DIY ability (know how and tools, etc.)?

Comes down to these 3 basic questions, and then the answers will be easier

My budget is anywhere from 400 to 600 I can collect from work a week...

I would like to get maybe 20 to 30 more horse power to make up for what I've lost...

My skill level is I've swapped out engines , opended up differentials to

Change the short shafts, clutches, ball joints, I've done alot of things to cars and trucks because my family doesn't believe in taking cars to the shop