front lsd z32 viscous type

Hafleycasey

Considering you have to basically destroy the case to get to the coupler - no I wouldn't trust it. You can only shim clutch style LSDs as far as I know.

The chances of getting a Z32 LSD into the front carrier of our trucks is pretty slim.

http://240sxdrifter.tripod.com/writeups/vlsdshim.html

You can shim a viscous LSD to make it more aggressive; bringing it closer to a 1.5 or 2 way diff. The problem will be actually fitting the diff guts and the corresponding v lsd axle shafts into the pathy.

The link posted above is a guide on shimming a VLSD.

I can't however help you when it comes to actually fitting the diff guts and axle shafts into the pathy front diff. Im sure the guts would probably swap over but i have no idea on how to make the axles work.

Someone else may he able to chime in on that one. Pretty sure the axles are specific to VLSD vs standard open or clutch type lsds.

Interesting, I stand corrected! As I understood it the unit it's self wasn't serviceable.

There's quite a few write ups on Z31P a about swapping Z32 stuff into Z31s, which have the same style R200 diff as our fronts. It seems to require some interesting axle combinations including Infiniti J30s to work? I bet with some diligent searching it can be determined if it'll work with ours...

Edited by Kingman

I never knew that about the axle shafts. I thought the viscous style wasn't good because if one wheel came off the ground It would act as a open diff. I was wondering if the shimming would fix that. I guess I need to do research on the axle shafts. I'm picturing taking my front end apart after hours of work and trial and error putting it back the way I found it.

If you have an LSD, and your wheel comes off the ground, you can apply a bit of brakes while giving gas at the same time. The extra opposing force applied against the direction of wheel spin will help to engage the other wheel. Works well if you lift a rear tire and use e brake handle, but for front wheel you have to use gas and brake at the to same time. Would be hard to do with a manual in some cases but quite easy in an automatic.

Edited by Nefarious