New guy to the world of Off Roading/ Vehicle mods.

Jay302

* DISCLAIMER * IF I HAVE POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG SECTION, I APOLOGIZE.

Hello, I am Jay.

I do not currently own a Pathfinder but I am looking to purchase a 02-04 Pathfinder. I have some ideas in mind of what I would like to do. Also, please include websites where I can locate the items

First, I want to raise it 6 inches. Where are the best places to purchase lift kits? Do I need to replace the axles? If I do need to replace the axles, will dana axles work? What gear ratio, etc for the axles? (Please do not use abbreviations, new guy)

Second, Tires. I want to have at least 33 inch tires maybe even 35's. What exactly do I need to accomplish this? Extend brake lines, back spacers, etc.

Third, Double Din in dash navigation unit. Does anything have to be modified?

Fourth, Off Road lights. What kind, where do I wire them to, where can I still toggle switches for them?

Fifth, HID lights. Is this possible?

Sixth, Custom Gauges. I would like to make the gauges more fancy looking. Where can I purchase some? What modifications must be done?

Seventh, Fuel Cell. I would like to install a fuel cell as a secondary fuel tank. Is it possible to tap into the primary fuel tank and run a separate fuel gauge and just flip a switch between the two? I understand that the fuel cell will need a separate fuel pump.

Any help will be great.

thats a very expensive wish list....

I'd start with buying a Pathy first, wheel it, then make mods that fit your type of driving and terrain.

there are almost no aftermarket companies that handle the R50 most of the mods will have to be done yourself.

4x4designs and Krypton fabs are about the only companies that do upgrades to the Independent Front Suspension design of the R50.

everything on your list is possible....with enough money, time and know how.

I'd start by going through some of the members builds and doing a little research.

* DISCLAIMER * IF I HAVE POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG SECTION, I APOLOGIZE.

Hello, I am Jay.

I do not currently own a Pathfinder but I am looking to purchase a 02-04 Pathfinder. I have some ideas in mind of what I would like to do. Also, please include websites where I can locate the items

First, I want to raise it 6 inches. Where are the best places to purchase lift kits? Do I need to replace the axles? If I do need to replace the axles, will dana axles work? What gear ratio, etc for the axles? (Please do not use abbreviations, new guy)

Second, Tires. I want to have at least 33 inch tires maybe even 35's. What exactly do I need to accomplish this? Extend brake lines, back spacers, etc.

Third, Double Din in dash navigation unit. Does anything have to be modified?

Fourth, Off Road lights. What kind, where do I wire them to, where can I still toggle switches for them?

Fifth, HID lights. Is this possible?

Sixth, Custom Gauges. I would like to make the gauges more fancy looking. Where can I purchase some? What modifications must be done?

Seventh, Fuel Cell. I would like to install a fuel cell as a secondary fuel tank. Is it possible to tap into the primary fuel tank and run a separate fuel gauge and just flip a switch between the two? I understand that the fuel cell will need a separate fuel pump.

Any help will be great.

:ohmy: Uhhh....Hi Jay, this isn't really, uh...hmmm....This list you've got here, your dream Pathy, this would be probably be about the 4th year of ownership that you'd get all this work completed. Since you don't yet own a Pathfinder, you don't realize that (atleast for us here in this forum) you don't just throw a bunch of equipment on your truck to make it cool.

Your truck was born Cool at the manufacturer when it was built. Don't get me wrong, we all love mod work, but it's not brought about by going down a laundry list of items. It's an evolution, it's like a Child, and as you get to know your truck over the years you start to learn what it needs, and what it doesn't need. It's not a normal 4x4 offroad truck like a lot of others where you have to throw a bunch of crap at it to trick it out.

We are talking about a Nissan Pathfinder, not a mud boggin chevy or ford, not a mudslut toyota, it's in a class of its own. I suggest you slow down a little and find a truck to start with that you can buy in good condition and first learn to appreciate what made it great to begin with. Take it off road, use the 4 wheel drive, go on a trail ride with your kids / various family members, go camping with it.

A Six inch lift, on these trucks is kinda rediculous and not really typical. Most guys do around maybe 3" suspension and probably an inch or two body lift, and with our hubs and spindles, I personally have a hard time recommending any tire size over 33" because of the weight, and all the stress placed on the steering components, drive train and wheel bearings.

You can go hard core with yours if you want and do a Single axle swap but those guys that do that are VERY mechanically inclined, and very experienced with shop / work space, tools and buddies to help 'em get the job done. For me, a Husband and dad in a suburban house in Anywhere USA working 50 hours a week with only a driveway and a neighborhood street in a Deed Restricted community, an SAS is out of the question...never going to happen. My wife would be screaming at me, "where is our truck we used to take trips in and get the groceries with, HMMMM?????"

You're going to have to find all your information yourself, do your own research. No one is going to want to help you with your list you threw at the wall to see what would stick. I don't mean to be rude, it's just not how the game is played. Buy a truck and post up some pics and maybe start with a set of 31" tires, go from there.

Get to know the forums and check out some other rides.

That's how you play.

Edited by gv280z
  • Like 2

Jay,I owe you an apology, I am sorry for being harsh and making your truck my business. It's not any of my business how and at what rate you do the mods you want to do on your truck you eventually buy. This post has been bothering me, so please accept my apologies. I guess I was speaking solely from my stand point, and what's right for me and my outlook, and that's not cool. I hope you can fulfill all your modification dreams whenever you can and have fun with it :-)