Have to tap the starter to get it started

phenom2955

Hello,

I just bought a 1987 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 about a week ago. Its been running/driving like a champ the entire time. However yesterday we drove it around a bit and made about 3-4 stops, each in witch the thing fired right up as per usual. About 2 hours later me and brother go out to start it and we only get a tick in the ignition(no tick in starter, seems it wasn't getting any power at all).

Tonight I actually found enough clearence to tap on the starter hard enough to make an impact using a straight slot screw driver and a hammer(not hard enough to damage it of course). My brother was in the truck with the key in start position and finally it Fires right up again.

However if you turn it off the only way to start it now is by tapping it again while the other holds the key.

What exactly does this mean in terms of longterm fix, I am hoping we won't need to buy a whole new starter. Especially how the starter is located I can't fit my hands from the top bottom or through the wheelwell.

I am hoping its just corroded or losse wire on the starter/starter soilnoid that I can clean up and fix the issue. Really want to hear opinions from experts though.

Thanks.

check all the easy things first, battery terminals clean and tight,no wire sticking out, same at the starter, clean and tight, my former 94 PF was doing the same thing and I did the starter relay mod (search for it if interested) and the starter was ok for about a year than finally had to replace it, plenty of threads on here on replacing the starter. Yes it's in a bad place but it's replaceable, the first time will take you a while or take it to someone to replace,

Highly recommend if replacing, stay away from rebuilt/reman starters !!! Get a brand new aftermarket or OEM starter, (OEM reman's are ok )

Alright thanks for the reply. I have already read a lot about the starter relay mod, maybe even one of your posts. I don't have any money to buy replacement parts at the moment.

Was defianately going to try to check the starter wire contacts today and buff em up, already cleaned up the battery terminals too.

Does anybody have any advice for the best angle to get big ass hands through with enough room to move a ratchet and work with the wires. Tight tight space for. I had put a Straight slot screw driver though the wheelweel and tap it with a hamer just to be able to reach it.

Also though, would it hurt anything too bad to drive it around a while having to tap starter to start it till we can afford replacement parts(all the wires ect.), dead broke atm.

Thanks.

Edited by phenom2955

Just called a mechanic and he tells me "Its absolutely the starter". Still havent managed to get connector wires off and clean em yet, however I will before anything.

Problem is, I just now discovered the bottom mount bolt is broken off about halfway through, so I hope I might savlage this starter for now. The mechanic quoted 90$ for change if I bring my own replacement starter, but he don't know that mount bolt is broken.

Any more info/advice ect.. would be great.

Can I get a link as well for the relay mod, and maybe a few good pictures of where everything is exactly. I know the basics but would be great to have a visual aid, no money to buy a book.

Thanks.

Alright thanks. Just now discovered the bottom mounting bolt is on the radiator side stuck down in the low corner with tranny fluid lines and oil filter right above it. Abosultey no room to get a ratchet/wrench in there. The top one is is on the other side, bigger sized bolt and should be easy to get off.

Any advice to get this thing out?