2001 Pathfinder LE with electrical problems...

StMute

I recently purchased a 2001 Pathfinder LE and up until now the only problem it had was a nonfunctioning sunroof. All fuses good, no power at the sunroof switch. Circuit breaker is hanging down.. obviously the previous owner has been down this road.

Now, the interior lights, remote keyless entry (and door switches) and the memory function of the air conditioner have all stopped working. Well.. not entirely. When you turn the ignition to ACC the door locks work and so does the remote keyless entry. It works when it's running too. The interior lights never work. And to explain what I mean about the air conditioner memory, previously it would remember what temperature

you had set it to, whether or not it was on or off when you turn off the ignition and whether or not it was set to Auto or Econ.. etc. Now it defaults to OFF and when you press Auto the temp defaults to 75 deg.

I've checked all the fuses under the dash on the driver's side and they're all good. I'm confused about the door locks since they work when you turn the key and so does the remote. Turn the key off and it's all dead. There's no power going to the interior dome lights (front and back) and the map lights in the roof console.

Seems like I already had a short in the wiring harness for the sunroof.. now it seems I may have another one. But what a strange group of things to go out all at the same time! Why would interior dome lights and door locks and a memory function for an environmental control all go out at the same time?

Thanks for any insight and help you can give me!

The only thing I can think of is either someone an aftermarket alarm. Or you may need to relearn the pcm or worse case scenario is while new pcm. Mine went out for different reasons last year retail is anywhere from $900-$1200 depending where you look. A buddt at a local shop was able to get one for me for $400. Again this is pure speculation without seeing what under your dash looks like

The only thing I can think of is either someone an aftermarket alarm. Or you may need to relearn the pcm or worse case scenario is while new pcm. Mine went out for different reasons last year retail is anywhere from $900-$1200 depending where you look. A buddt at a local shop was able to get one for me for $400. Again this is pure speculation without seeing what under your dash looks like

Thanks for the reply!

No aftermarket alarm systems added. Fortunately the only symptoms amount to annoyances. I can't lock the doors with the door switches unless the key is still in it.. so I wait until everyone has exited the vehicle to lock it. I can't unlock all the passenger doors until I get in and put the key in, so everyone has to wait. Brings back memories of life before power door locks! Dome lights.. not a big deal.. AC memory.. *shrug*.. Sunroof doesn't open.. *shrug* It still runs great! (knock on wood!) No computer codes either.

I guess I could take it to the local Nissan dealership and see what they say but I imagine that could get expensive quickly.

If it'll help, I can certainly post pics of anything anyone wants to see!

Have you pulled all the body function fuses and checked them, with a flash light? One may have a break in it from age. I've had fuses that were "half" blow before. Cause all kinds of headaches.

Also, have you downloaded the full Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your truck? It can help you greatly in chasing the wires to figure out where you may have a short or issue.

Don't forget to check all the fuses in the engine bay. That's where I had some issues; they were basically corroded inside and starting to break.

Have you pulled all the body function fuses and checked them, with a flash light? One may have a break in it from age. I've had fuses that were "half" blow before. Cause all kinds of headaches.

Also, have you downloaded the full Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your truck? It can help you greatly in chasing the wires to figure out where you may have a short or issue.

Don't forget to check all the fuses in the engine bay. That's where I had some issues; they were basically corroded inside and starting to break.

Thanks Rebelord!

I do have the FSM and I really should take the time to go through the EL section in detail.

I've tested all the fuses with a multimeter, but I really should go through and pull each one and reseat them anyway to elmininate the chance that one simply doesn't have a good connection. You never know.

Thanks for the advise and I'll post when I have an update!

Found what I was trying to think of about all this. Smart Entrance Control unit. May get you on a promising path. In mine, page 7 has the Power diagram of what gets power when. Check yours

Edited by Rebelord

Found what I was trying to think of about all this. Smart Entrance Control unit. May get you on a promising path. In mine, page 7 has the Power diagram of what gets power when. Check yours

Well you're right. The description certainly looks promising doesn't it:

secu-desc.jpg

I'll have to check some of the other things on that list. Like the "Warning chime".. now that I think about it I don't remember hearing it since this started.

Well Rebelord, I'm glad you convinced me to double check those fuses because I found the one that had blown! :blush:

Hopefully this will help someone in the future too. Everything on the list for the description of the Smart Entrance Control Unit stopped working when this fuse blew. The door chime, the LED for the "Vehicle security system" stopped blinking, interior dome lights stopped working, multi-remote control system, everything.

So for those of you finding this post through a search engine, here's the culprit:

interior-fuseblock-chart.jpg

interior-fuseblock.jpg

interior-fuseblock-blown.jpg

Thanks again Rebelord!