98 Pathfinder Problems

Guest Ghostfinder

Guest Ghostfinder

Hi,

I am an owner of a '98 Pathfinder SE with about 104k miles on it. The car has been great, expect for a few minor annoyances. Maybe you guys can help me remedy these problems.

They are as follows;

Power Problem - Going up hills in this car just plain sucks. At the most I can probably go around 60-65 mph. Going at this speed is around 4000 rpms. Not only is this a drain on my fuel economy, but also probably a strain on my engine. Switching to Overdrive helps a little bit, but still lacking power. I replaced the water pump and timing belt at about 92k miles, and saw a slight increase in power, but nothing substantial. The problem still persists.

If there is no simple solution for this, I am thinking of getting upgrade parts for my car. I have searched around a bunch of the car parts websites, but I can't find any performace parts.

I would like to get a Cold Air intake, new air filter, and I don't know what else.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Have you checked your timing lately? It's possible the decrease in power from when you had it done might be due to your timing going off. I think the cold air intakes come with a new cone-type air cleaner. Switching to OD will drop your rpms but do nothing for power, as you've found out.

Headers will give you a boost, as will having your ECU reprogrammed. Stay clear of the Ebay "bolt-on/plug in" programmers, magnets, etc. ~ it's all just crap to separate you & your money... :contract:

How long since your last tune up ? Try running your ECU in diagnostic mode & see what comes up, too.

Guest Ghostfinder

Thanks for your time to reply!

I saw the ECU diagnositc thread, just browsed it briefly, but will look at in more detail now.

Where can I get my ECU reprogrammed? Can they also do a diagnostic test?

Where can I get headers?

Thanks!

Here's a link for ECU stuff:

Jim Wolf Technology, Inc.

After a little checking, I'm not sure there's headers available for your year. Sorry if I got you all excited... It looks like I steered you wrong on them. :o

With a little searching here, you can find out anything you need, whether it's mods or the right place to find parts/upgrades, to simple/not simple repairs... :bow:

I steered you wrong on the ECU, too, after doing some reading. You've got the OBDII system on yours. Either a shop will have to retrieve your codes, or I think you can buy some reasonably priced OBDII readers now days for home use.

Once again, sorry for misleading you... sssh

Edited by hardwaretoad