Help! Will not Shift to 4L

sunovertone

So, my 4wd will not shift into four low. 4 high is fine, neutral works, 2wd fine, light goes on and off in both, but will not engage 4L. I have searched the forum for other post and not finding any. Maybe not entering right, or maybe not to common to have problems with 4wd. I have tried a number of times. Tried rolling forward, made shure i am in neutral with other shifter. Tried with car on and off, no go. I also have a post about how the car "bumps and kicks" in second gear. It is fine not to have four low now, but come winter it would be nice! Also this car is a manual trans. 1999 pathfinder.

Trying not to laugh as I too found out the hard way. :/

*sigh*

*edit ..

You must have the transmission in the "neutral" position when going into 4-lo (the info is on the back of the drivers side sun visor)

Edited by devonianwalk

Yep, tried so many times, I pushed the shifter all the way down, towards floor and then towards seats, but all it does is go into neutral .Then stops, and can not get it to go back any farther.

It's a manual linkage...If you crawl underneath and look up at the transfer case you can see the linkage coming through the floor. mine was all gummed up and the linkage connectors were dry as the PO never used the 4x4 system. after lubing it up and changing the fluid in the T-case it works fine now.

try spraying a little brake free or penetrating lube on the linkages to get them moving.

• Like 1