Steering Problems

Savysav

So after installing my new grassroots center link, I found my steering to be very stiff feeling. When taking a turn the wheel does not return to center on it's own. It's as if the wheel is stuck leaving me to force it to center.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

I recently got it aligned as well and it's still doing the same thing. I loosened some torque on the castle nuts for the new grade 8 bolts that pass through the idler and pitman arms. It feels much better, but still is not like it should be.

Not sure if this makes a difference but when I was putting the grade 8 bolts through the center link, it was a very tight fit. I had to pretty much screw in the bolts as they didn't just slide right through.

Yeah i don't know how I feel about the grass roots link just by design it seems like it would bind the steering that's why I went with 2wd swap instead. You could grease the grade 8 bolts where they pass through the idler and pitman and make sure you torque to the spec that was given by the company that made it . That's about all u can do. If it already went through alignment then they would have checked (or at least they should have) your front end to make sure it's all good before aligning. There isn't really much to mess up there. You may need to dial in more positive caster in your front end to fight the stiffer steering joints if you want your wheel return to be as normal

Maybe its just going through an initial break in period? Might want to try some high pressure white lithium grease at all the stressed / lubri points. I've seen a spray can of it in the podunk little hardware store in my town.

My steering was also stiff after installing the link and new tie rod ends. I double checked the torque and verified ok. After driving for a while it loosened up. And by that, I mean a few days. I wnet back after driving 500 miles and retorqed everththing and all is great. Be sure you grease everything else(TRE's). It is fantastic now and drives awesome. It has certianly taken a beating and keeps coming out striaght.