Hydraulic terminal crimper

ahardb0dy

Just bought one of these from E-bay, I know it's from China but hopefully it will last a while under normal, once in a while use:

bz975.jpg

It's supposed to be a 10 ton crimper for crimping ring terminals ( and similiar) onto battery or power cable, comes with 9 sets of dies of different sizes,

I have the crimping tool you hit with the hammer but when you need to fasten a ring terminal to a wire on the vehicle the hammer tool will not work.

Will see in about a week or so how it works.

right now need to crimp some terminals to the battery cables, too lazy to remove them from the truck to use my hammer style crimper. Sometimes when I make a new cable I just use my vise to crimp them but that just makes a flat crimp, I like how the die's crimp, and if you rotate the terminal 180 degrees you can crimp the terminal again to get a 4 sided crimp.

Item arrived yesterday, just tried it out, worked very good. Only issue ( not the tools fault) I had was the terminal I used was a 1/0 but I guess the positive battery wire going to the starter really wasn't that big, so when I put the right size dies in the crimper it did make a nice crimp but the terminal was still loose, so I went to the next smaller dies and crimped it again and now it is tight.

I think at the time I bought the copper ring terminals that size was all Ace Hardware had in stock.

Going back to Ace today to pick up some other parts for a project will see if they have the right copper lugs in stock.

I'm going to pick some more terminals up tomorrow than will make some up.

What I used it for today ( no pic) was to crimp a new ring terminal onto the thick positive wire that goes to the starter on the positive battery terminal, I replaced the stock terminal with the military style one ( same as I posted about doing on my former pathfinder and sentra), the problem with aftermarket batt. terminals is most use a bolt so you need to put a ring terminal on the stock wires.

That is what I was doing.

Off of the truck/car when making up battery cables, it's easy to crimp a copper ring terminal ( or aluminum) onto the cable, I either use my hammer crimper or just put it in my vise and crush the hell out of it, little heat shrink over the end, and done,

The problem is when the cable is in the vehicle, that is where this hydraulic crimper comes in. It's small, lightweight and easy to use.