manual tranmission 1st gear has left the building

rgallant

At the end of a 3000+ km off road trip (last 60k offroad), I can no longer engage 1st gear, it appears to go in and then pops right out. All other gears are fine and work well, so getting home was not an issue, a couple hills required 2nd and low range but no biggy.

Any suggestions, I am thinking synco is gone, but it will not hold if I try with the engine off clutch in and then try again, still pops out. No indication of failure 10 minutes before 1st worked fine, then 6 k down the road it did not.

I will be calling the mechanic on Monday but any suggestion woudl be helpful, this one is new to me.

Well talking to the mechanic it would appear the 1st/2nd shift fork is done - $70.00 part 1000.00 labour, 4 week back order from Nissan. There is a MasterCard commercial in there somewhere.

That sucks!

Well that was my thought too. But with 260000 Km on the odo, and it happened at the end, last 80 km, of a 3850 km road trip. Most which was on forest service roads about 2600. It is pretty hard to get bent out of shape, I figure the universe is just keeping me honest. These trucks have enough bottom end to start and get moving in second, so I am mobile just no serious offroad.

Ah but try and find a used manual transmission, they are hard to find and of unknown quality. The closest thing I have found is 1200.00 US before shipping for a rebuild or 900.00 for an unknown. I don't have anywhere to do the work so I still get to pay the mechanic. Overall the repair works out better, there maybe another 100 -150 in parts but still cheaper than a used transmission. Overall all the other gears are smooth as silk as was 1st, but seeing as Nissan changed the fork I suspect it was prone to failure.

I had considered the replace the transmission route, but the cost is just too excessive, at the price difference a rebuild would be the only way to go and I can have a lot of the guts replaced for that cost.

It is a couple of weeks to get the parts, I will keep this updated.