4x4 shorting out when wet

Fatso1234

I have a 2002 LE with the all-mode 4x4 system. I think that's the ATX14A transfer case. When I drive in the rain or it gets wet the 4x4 short out, which needless to say, is frustrating and kind of defeats the purpose.

Here are the symptoms:

1. 4x4 light is on.

2. ATP light ( that indicates that the transmission is not locked in park) will glow dimly in P, but transmission is parked. In 4x4 low and Park, it glows more brightly.

3. In Auto mode, there's a buzzing noise from under the vehicle.

4. Self diagnostic mode gives a 1 long and 4 short pattern indicating "2-4WD shift solenoid valve circuit is shorted or 2WD switch of 4WD shift switch is shorted."

5. It seems to dry out and fix itself relatively quickly (several hours).

There are two electrical connectors near the transfer case on the driver side that I was able to disconnect. I put some dielectric grease in them, but it did not solve the problem.

Does anyone know where this short might be occurring? Any other ways to diagnose?

Thanks.

Edited by Fatso1234

The service manual should show you where the parts that are throwing the codes are located. Then I guess you could fill a Windex bottle with water, crawl underneath, spray one of them, see if 4x4 works, spray the other one, check again, spray the wiring in sections, and see what has to get wet for it to cut out.

Hopefully someone who's worked with the automatic transfer case can suggests a less Homer Simpson way of doing it.

I was wondering if something like that might work. Fresh water isn't very electrically conductive and I'm a bit hesitant to spray salt water in case it permanently makes it worse.

Things are pretty tight down there and it's hard to access the wiring and connectors. Part of what I was wondering is if the connectors are best accessed from above (by removing the console, which i doubt) or below.

I did read the service manual so I think I know a bit better where to look, but it doesn't say exactly where the electrical connectors are located.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd update this in case it helps someone out in the future. I was able to access some more connectors to the rear/right of the TC. Put some dielectric grease in them and sealed the ends with RTV. I was finally able to drive in the rain for an extended period of time yesterday and it seems to be fixed.

• Like 1