LOUD KNOCKING SOUND

Guest 93tiel2

Guest 93tiel2

I drove the Pathfinder on Saturday and it performed like it always has. No signs of what I discovered this morning when I turned the ignition key. This morning I heard a loud knocking sound with no prior warning. Could the oil pump have gone bad or is this the infamous exhaust manifold bolt problem? I did not get any warning signs. I have a mechanic approximately 4 blocks from me. Is it safe to drive it this way or should I get it towed. Again I turned it on this morning and immediately shut the car off. I turned it on a second time and once again turned it off in fear of making the matter worse.

I changed the timing belt and water pump at 80k miles. I currently have 104k.

perhaps you spun a main bearing and one of your pistons is beating the heck out of your crankshaft. Been there, replaced the engine. definately check your oil level. Unless it's clean and thin, have a buddy start the truck while you lay underneath. If the noise is coming from your oil pan area, you're screwed. When mine went, there were all sorts of problems to fix (possible crankshaft damage, replace bearings, bearing cap(s) for those that spun, oil hile in connecting rod was full of metal that needed drilled out, and other things) and I must have missed something because it did it again soon after and got worse to the point where I pulled the entire engine and did a swap. Good luck

k9sar, I think you're right on about the main (or more likely rod) bearing being spun, but laying under the oil pan with a mechanically faulty engine running sounds like a bad idea. Wouldn't want a rod to be thrown with this guy laying under it at the time.

I had a main bearing go on a Dodge P.O.S. (GF at the time's car), and it made a progressive sound. At idle it was fairly quiet actually when run for a few min by the mechanic, but any throttle let out horrible sounds. It was a truly nastly thrashing and such. I'd say, if you're not sure, find somebody trusted who is.