New, old guy and a '94 Pathfinder

jtingiris

I'm new here and recently purchased a 1994 Pathfinder. I've already found these forums helpful and wanted to say THANKS!

Overall, I think I got a pretty good deal and I like it so far. It's got 196k miles on it, never has been in a wreck, and I bought it from the second owner (who'd had it for 15+ years). Sure, it needs some work but I'm excited with its potential.

I've owned quite a few 4x4s and am no stranger to a tool box. But, this is only my second Nissan ever (I had a maxima once a long time ago) and still have a lot to learn about them! Hopefully with some dedication and help I'll be up to speed in no time.

The ECU only throws one error (32, EGR) and I'm working my way through that now. I live in Atlanta and want the emissions functioning properly. It's got a minor oil pan gasket leak so I'll be looking to replace that soon, too. Nothing major, I think.

What concerns me most is a 'clunk' or 'thunk' I hear/feel when placing it into reverse (particularly on an incline). I haven't heard/felt it in the forward gears. The transmission feels strong and it drives pretty good considering its age. I've searched the forums and haven't really found anyone post the exact same problem. Anyone care to give their thoughts on it?

The VIN translates to ... 199403 W VG30E ST/XE AT.F4 4WD 4D FED KH3 K ... and I think I understand most of what that all means, but am also curious if anyone has any tips and/or know the common issues given the specifics?

Thanks again for such a great resource!

J

Welcome J, from a psudo old guy, in more ways than one. There is lots of info here so keep poking around, I'm constantly finding 'new' stuff I'd forgotten about... :rolleyes:

The ECU only throws one error (32, EGR) and I'm working my way through that now. I live in Atlanta and want the emissions functioning properly. It's got a minor oil pan gasket leak so I'll be looking to replace that soon, too. Nothing major, I think.

What concerns me most is a 'clunk' or 'thunk' I hear/feel when placing it into reverse (particularly on an incline). I haven't heard/felt it in the forward gears. The transmission feels strong and it drives pretty good considering its age. I've searched the forums and haven't really found anyone post the exact same problem. Anyone care to give their thoughts on it?

The VIN translates to ... 199403 W VG30E ST/XE AT.F4 4WD 4D FED KH3 K ... and I think I understand most of what that all means, but am also curious if anyone has any tips and/or know the common issues given the specifics?

Ok, step one is to download your own free copy of the Factory Service Manual from the thread that is pinned in the Garage section. That will be your new bible... :D

The ECU test info starts on EC-134. Sorry, but it is far easier for you just to read/follow what is there.

The clunk/thunk is probably lash in the drive train, either in the U joints and/or the rear end. Check for drive shaft rotation play/sounds. If it is in the rear end, change the fluid and see what comes out with the oil, put in new and drive it 'till it howls... ;)

I believe the VIN Tranlates to:

March 1994, Wagon, VG30E motor, XE trim, Auto Trans, 4WD, 49 state emissions, paint code, what factory it was made in?

Any rust? When was the timing belt last changed? Tune up and fluids? Just the normal stuff buying a 20 year old vehicle, really...

B

Oh, the oil pan... Just try to snug it up first. The bolts are only something like 6-8ft/lb so just use a 10mm socket on a ratchet but hold it by the head, not the handle and just snug them. It might work for 10 minutes of effort. Pulling the pan is a pain due to the exhaust...

I believe the VIN Tranlates to:

March 1994, Wagon, VG30E motor, XE trim, Auto Trans, 4WD, 49 state emissions, paint code, what factory it was made in?

B -

You're normally so precise... :lol::lol:

KH3 K = Paint Code + Interior Trim = Super Black + Grey

The plant code for WD21s was W = Kyushu, Japan

J-

Welcome. It's amazing the information that this forum has. You're in good hands for pretty much anything you want to do to your truck.