Won't Go Over 40 MPH, getting frustrated

mikestewart395

Thanks Slartibartfast. A few months back I took my Pathy swimming and after a 2 week dry out it was doing the 2800 rpm thing. Now it has gone to 2200. Something weird though, last night I electronic cleaner sprayed the maf connector, injector connections and cleaned one of the sensors that connects into the side of the tb. I don't have my book with me, I can't name the sensor ATM. When I turned the key it started fast, like I snapped my fingers and bam! No spinning mor a couple seconds then firing. Anyway, test drove it. It got to 65 mph, I was like hell yea ! Then it started loping again until I dropped it to 2200. It's was fun for about 10 seconds. Tomorrow is payday so I'll go to advanced and buy 2 new injectors. Only one is bad, but just like headlights, change one might as well change both, the other will fail too.

I'm not sure what to make of those symptoms... hopefully the new injectors fix it, but it's starting to sound more like a wiring issue to me, especially with the fact that it started after getting wet.

• 2 weeks later...

By chance did the ECM or its connectors get wet? It is under the front passenger seat thus is vulnerable to being flooded out. Like dropping a cellphone in the water, it could work ok during/immediately after but then start failing a few weeks later as the corrosion (both connectors and PCB) sets in. Just a guess though.

By chance did the ECM or its connectors get wet? It is under the front passenger seat thus is vulnerable to being flooded out. Like dropping a cellphone in the water, it could work ok during/immediately after but then start failing a few weeks later as the corrosion (both connectors and PCB) sets in. Just a guess though.

Yea, the cab was flooded. I bought a ECM from Ebay . The last one was fried. Wouldn't start the engine.All connections since have been cleaned and Electric Greased.

I got it! After taking one injector out of the circuit at a time I found the bad injector. I clipped one wire and it wouldn't start. I soldered it back on and it started. I clipped wire from second injector and engine started and ran exactly the same. So finally the mystery is solved. Bad bad bad injector. I will get that replaced pronto.

• Like 1