Transponder key Questions?

ok so im at a loss i thought my qx4 had a transponder but when the locksmith checked it there was no signal, he made me a number 38 blank and cut it to the car and i drove around most of the day without the transponder key, am i missing something, this vehicle does not have an aftermarket alarm as far as i can tell and the dealer says i have a transponder key, can some one enlighten me on this

Humm, no replys yet... I was wating for someone who knows more about this to chime in.

By transponder key you mean the kind with the chip in it, required to start the engine?

My 98 has no such device, I can start and drive with the plain spare key if I need, in fact I like to do that when off roading so I don't have to listen to all my keys floping around.

You should still have a factory alarm though, along with the fob to remotely lock and unlock your doors. The security light should mean all doors are closed and locked and the alarm is active.

The Vehicle Security System (VSS) control module may be dead or the fuse to it is blown. You will need a new transponder (key fob) for that vehicle in order to see if the VSS module is working.

Your local dealerer is mistaken, a close look in the computer will show that the R50 did not have a chip key until after production date 12/98. They key for your vehicle does not have an immobilizer what requires a chip key. Thus the key the locksmith did will work fine.