rough idle & stall TD27T

hi

I am still new to diesels but just wondering what some more experience people think

back story

I have been having this starting problem where its taking a few extra cranks to get it going after its been sitting for a few hour, I used to think that it might be the glow plugs but I have upgraded the system with a straight 12V from the battery run passed a relay with stock timer

then the other day I been parked on a hill with the nose pointing in to the sky when I finished my 12 hour shift and started it, it idled very rough and stalled after a few seconds, it took a few cranks and she started right up. been running fine since besides the old hard start, in my research I red about fuel filter changes that got me thinking back to my fuel filter change I remembered it was strange that the filter was empty. as when I changed the filter on the surf I had it poured out with fuel and I had to hold the fuel line up so not to drain the tank. didn't think anything off it as it starts most of the time.

now to the to option that I have come up with in my research

1) air leak (will check with clear fuel line)

2) fuel drains back in to the tank (replace primer pump or in-line fuel check velvet)

any other ideas or thing I can check

its a 91 terrano TD27T 240K on the clock,

Hmm... I don't know the diesels but a dry filter does suggest that the fuel's draining out. I'd check the fuel lines for leaks; seems like if air's getting in somewhere while it's parked, fuel might be getting out through the same hole while it's running.

I have been having this starting problem where its taking a few extra cranks to get it going after its been sitting for a few hour, I used to think that it might be the glow plugs but I have upgraded the system with a straight 12V from the battery run passed a relay with stock timer

Have you removed and checked glowplugs? Or just put another power feed to them? (I'm confused by your description- used another power source via same timer? how does this become upgrade?)

My bet its unlikely to be fuel system. If fuel filter was 'dry' and you went to start you'd almost flatten the battery winding it over to get it going.

If after a few hours unused its enough to cause a problem, after 12-24 hours you'd struggle to fire it if airleakage was cause.

But you could try pop bonnet, pump hand primer until it goes firm (and a few more to make sure) then try start.

If its air in fuel it'll start easy as after this, if not symptoms will continue

its upgraded by using the stock timer power run it to a relay to open the circuit and run a wire from battery to the relay then to the glow plug wolla you got 12V instat 10.2V. I did test the glow plugs and it took 4-5 seconds to fully glow,

when I did my fuel filter it wasn't completely dry but not as much as I would have thought since with my research I found that in the primer pump/fuel filter should be a check velve to hold the presure (the fuel) ready for nxt start. which was correct for my surf that I had were I changed the fuel filter and diesel came poring out.

if I'm mistaken and the check velve is operating normal the primer pump should be firm,

if its not then the check velve might be gone and is causing my bad start, only need 2-3 cracks before it starts or a long one,

if its a air leak would diesel be leaking over night, as I haven't noticed fuel leak or smell,

thanks

mike