Disc Brake swap question

Eyrish

I have read a bunch of stuff online regarding the drum to disc swap. I have a question though that I can't seem to get straight.

Found a New Mexico 94 SE auto. It has the LSD. I have a manual 93. Could I just swap the axles, or am I going to run into issues with the differential?

Gear ratios will probably be different. Your manual most likely has 4.36 gears and the auto donor most likely has 4.63 gears. Check the door tags.

HG43 represents 4.36 gears. HG46 represents 4.63 gears.

If the ratios are different you could always have your ring and pinion gear set swapped over into the auto trucks third member and then swap that in, but that is a hell of a lot more money and work when you can just find a manual donor.

Your other option is to swap both the front and rear diff from the donor truck into your truck, then you will have the 4.63 gears in your truck. If you ever plan to run 32-33 inch tires then that is probably your best bet since it would return your overall gear ratio closer to factory . Hope that helps

Thanks Nefarious, I will look into the gearing, I thought that would be an issue. I could still just switch the backing plates and hard lines though right?

yep, if you want to just acquire the rear disc brakes and not the LSD then yes you can swap the axle lines and the disc brake assemblies themselves. the brake lines are identical all the way up to the axle T connection. The actual rear axle mounted lines are different but the rest are the same in the truck all the way up to there.