Need to replace front stabilizer bushings

Darek

I need to replace front stabilizer bar bushings. I read that one need a press to replace it so I leave it to a mechanic.

But currently I can find only two kinds of bushes. Normal for about 3$ per piece and polyurethan for about 9$.

Do you think that polyurethan is better for me (just occasional offroad)?

Do you know if I can use bushes from Terrano 2 or other model? I can find more bushes for Terrano.

These are polyurethan:

21908751.jpg

These are normal:

2609_1.jpg

Rubber is more compliant and you might (just maybe, in theory) prefer that when off-road.

But the poly bushings will control way better and probably give you noticeably sharper steering response on road.

You do NOT need a press to change sway bar bushings. It's definitely a do-it-yourself-in-your-driveway-with-a-socket kind of job.

You should replace the front sway bar end-links at the same time.

I found some video and in fact it is really easy to replace sway bar bushings, so I'll do it myself.

I am not sure about front sway bar end-links. Are you referring to this part ?

54618-R50002_1.jpg

I think the mechanic said that those links are ok. The problem is I can hear knock sound when driving over potholes.

• Like 1

The above comments are spot-on. I would say to make it easier on yourself, buy the split-design bushings. They make installation a snap. I just did these on mine, with MOOG replacements.

• Like 1

I found some video and in fact it is really easy to replace sway bar bushings, so I'll do it myself.

I am not sure about front sway bar end-links. Are you referring to this part ?

54618-R50002_1.jpg

I think the mechanic said that those links are ok. The problem is I can hear knock sound when driving over potholes.

That is indeed the sway bar link, Darek. I have done mine, it's an easy job but you need a good long hex wrench to hold the ball joint while you tighten the nut. These will make a clunking sound if they are failing or loose (as 1 of mine was). I would just replace them anyway, they're cheap enough (about $20 here in the US).

I know how to replace it as I already replaced struts twice ;)

I'll start with replacing sway bar bushings and if knock sound is not gone then I'll go with sway bar links.

Thanks you all.