rough running. C.E.L. came on

another great monday!!

ive got the 93 xe v6 3.0 with 270k miles on it. truck runs beautiful. till this morning.

i always start my truck to let it warm up in the cold.

i started it and the truck was idling real rough and sputtering. C.E.L. was on.

so i went to rev her up and it stalled out on me with my foot feathering the accelerator.

so i shut it off. started it again.... and it ran fine all the way to work!?! anyone have any clue was causes this? has new plugs and wires... and yes i checked all the plugs are tight....

again guys... thanks ahead of time!!

another great monday!!

ive got the 93 xe v6 3.0 with 270k miles on it. truck runs beautiful. till this morning.

i always start my truck to let it warm up in the cold.

i started it and the truck was idling real rough and sputtering. C.E.L. was on.

so i went to rev her up and it stalled out on me with my foot feathering the accelerator.

so i started it again.... and it ran fine all the way to work!?! anyone have any clue was causes this? has new plugs and wires... and yes i checked all the plugs are tight....

again guys... thanks ahead of time!!

^Bingo! Always the best place to start if there are stored codes. Even if there isn't, the siagnostic section has proceedures for all sorts of descriptions, it's pretty handy!

The other thing to do is pop the hood while it is running and wiggle the connections at the TSP, MAF, coolant sensor, etc to see if it changes or smooths out. That can help you locate and intermittent issue sometimes. Unfortunately, the connectors don't seem to last as long as everything else, but they are fairly easy to disassemble, clean, tighten, etc.

B

^Bingo! Always the best place to start if there are stored codes. Even if there isn't, the siagnostic section has proceedures for all sorts of descriptions, it's pretty handy!

The other thing to do is pop the hood while it is running and wiggle the connections at the TSP, MAF, coolant sensor, etc to see if it changes or smooths out. That can help you locate and intermittent issue sometimes. Unfortunately, the connectors don't seem to last as long as everything else, but they are fairly easy to disassemble, clean, tighten, etc.

B

ill give it a try when i get home. its never done that to me and it kinda got me a bit nervous... :/ what does TSP stand for? haha of course it happens the day after i order 2 brand new cv axles, buy a new welder for my new bumper, and an 80 gal air tank!! :I

Sorry, it means I can't type or proof read (stupid fat fingers and old eyeballs/brain)!

TPS is what I meant, which is the Throttle Position Sensor, located on the side of the plenum right at the flex hose air intake. (little rectangular box on the left side)

The fact that you shut it off and it started fine means it is intermittent and electrical, and not a reason to freak out, yet. :tongue:

Honestly, you have a 20 year old truck, so it's going to be a little tempermental at times. Just treat it like a woman: don't get excited or show fear, don't make any fast moves or hasty decisions, maintain eye contact, speak in low soothing tones and don't turn your back! :D

(Or is that dogs and horses? :unsure: Bah, same thing! )

Not trying to blow you off at all, but check out that FSM, it can be enlightening.

I'm jealous about the welder BTW, but not the compressor. Worked around them for years and learned to dislike the noise...

B

• Like 1

Sorry, it means I can't type or proof read (stupid fat fingers and old eyeballs/brain)!

TPS is what I meant, which is the Throttle Position Sensor, located on the side of the plenum right at the flex hose air intake. (little rectangular box on the left side)

The fact that you shut it off and it started fine means it is intermittent and electrical, and not a reason to freak out, yet. :tongue:

Honestly, you have a 20 year old truck, so it's going to be a little tempermental at times. Just treat it like a woman: don't get excited or show fear, don't make any fast moves or hasty decisions, maintain eye contact, speak in low soothing tones and don't turn your back! :D

(Or is that dogs and horses? :unsure: Bah, same thing! )

hahahaha you seriously know how to describe women. :laugh:

and after looking quite a bit over my truck i noticed the o2 sensors wires had been ripped clean off while trying to recover my buddys chevys and jeeps this weekend :/ thank god i actually took a trip down to harbor freight the night before and felt like a kid in a candy store!! :ohno01: bought a tractor jack (HI-Lift jack) for $50, Welder 180 mig/flux core for $285 and a brand new auto darkening helmet for $45... You wanna take about never turning your back on a woman... i slept in my truck this weekend haha.

but heres a few pictures of my not so smart friends against a swamp on the powerlines

0406141304_zpseainy7kt.jpg

Perry is in the 09 wrangler, tylers in the 02 chevy 1500

2014-04-08%2020.53.10_zpsmxfzovof.png

Josh is in the river with his 95 longbed single cab gay mans chariot 1500

0401141742a_zpsqw6o4lm5.jpg

i didnt even pull any of em out they all used my jack i just watched with a couple buds :friday: my truck got completely cover and all i had was 2wheel drive(blown cv shafts this fridays project)