Location and replacement of warning chime

path90bill

I know a little about working on cars, but not a lot.

I more or less have to work on my cars myself because I can't afford to pay for it.

I want to replace the "lights are on" warning chime on my 1990 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4.

Right now it makes a really low dunk-dunk sound that is barely audible.

I called the Nissan dealer and they couldn't even find the part in their system and

didn't know where it was located in the vehicle except "probably under the dash somewhere".

(and didn't know what it was called, although they mentioned "chime" which helped)

So I can't get a part number, and I couldn't find any info on the web because I didn't know

what that part is called. (buzzer? alert? tone? audbile something-or-other?)

I finally did a search for "chime" and found some info.

One place I found said the "chime assembly" cost ~$50, which is typical Nissan over-priced cost.

It's ridiculous for an audible alert chime buzzer thingy to cost $50!!!

That's one of the bad things about Nissans, is everything costs so much.

Anyway, does anyone know where the chime is located, how to and how hard it is to replace,

and where I might be able to get a cheaper unit?

Thanks.

Edited by path90bill

Funny you posted this here. I just recently unplugged the chime from my 20yr old Miata. I had to strain my back to locate that sick, whirrly sound. I pulled the wire harness from the Mazda. The car still starts and runs so, I'd guess I'm all good as long as she runs? :shrug:

Thanks. I guess I can maybe get a cheap one from a wrecking yard.

That post helps a little, but not enough.

I checked today and I can hear it down in there,

but not well enough to target it exactly.

I have a Nissan book, but it only deals with all of the big systems.

I had the same issue with my '90, and it's a simple fix once you find out how.

For the part, check out the JY in your area - the part is the same at least for all of the 87-93 Pathfinders and Hardbody trucks.

For the location, it's down behind the driver-side kick panel trim (where your left foot would typically be when driving) like Terranovation said. To get to it, take out the driver side kick-plate trim. That will free up the lower part of the trim panel, which is held in place with 1 screw near the top. Once you get that out, you'll find two electric components tucked back there - one black and one metal with white plastic. (Page EL-89 of the FSM shows the rough location and there the 2 parts are located. The black one is supposedly just for the for the seatbelt timer and the metal one is supposedly the warning chime (per page EL-67 of the FSM) - but I had to change both of them to fix the problem on my truck. YMMV.

Hope this helps.

Pull off the trim on the drivers side foot well. Undo the associated bolts. Cut or unplug the connector. Toss the little metal device far into the woods while screaming cuss words. Put truck back together and go for a mud run.

Edited by Kyle94