Hardbody style headlight comparison

ahardb0dy

I have the E-code (European not DOT approved) Hella headlights in my pathfinder, I converted over to the hardbody style headlights a while ago, I just had a chance to take a pic of the DOT approved Hella's so I wanted to post the pics as a comparison, I also included a normal Halogen sealed beam for comparison.

Sealed beam, notice all the fluting in the lens:

1zfj7ee.jpg

DOT approved Hella with H4 bulb:

212th5j.jpg

Non DOT approved E-code Hella:

scxci8.jpg

I can't compare the light output between the DOT and non DOT Hella's as my E-code headlights have 55 watt low 100 watt high bulbs and the DOT hella's have the legal wattage bulbs of 55 watt low/65 watt high and I haven't driven the truck with the DOT Hella's at night.

The one thing I can make out is that the sealed beam and DOT Hella are going to have similar light spread. But the Hella is a much better choice as there is a range of high quality bulbs that can be installed in it.

The E-code light will produce the best light output with a flat cut off to the left, and a nice up sweep to the right for illuminating road signs.

I really liked the E-code's, I drove the PF tonight to go pickup dinner, first time with the DOT Hella's and the low beam looks the same as my E-code, high beam isn't as bright due to the bulb wattage but they put out some good light.

The E-codes and the DOT version both have a nice cut off for the upper area where the light is spread out, I can drive behind a pickup and the light will shine on the tailgate but none shines above the tailgate into the drivers vision.

I know when I was researching the E-code headlights you have to be careful because in some Countries overseas they drive on the left side of the road and some they drive on the right as we do in the US. So you need to make sure the E-code headlight is designed for RHD traffic. Mine are.

The 100 Watt high beams is like having two 7" off road lights !!

Edited by ahardb0dy