Rear mods

I'm still waiting to find time to install my lift/wheels, and I've been getting a tad bit antsy. I hit up the junkyard yesterday and saw a 95 4Runner with tail light guards and I absolutely LOVED them. I've also been contemplating smoking out my tails- not pitch black; light but noticeable. I've seen pics of tinted tails but nothing has made me truly love them. So, can anyone throw in some insight/advice/pics about either of those two mods?

Yeah, light guards can be had for 50-80 dollars on eBay, I forget the brand who made them but that's how much they were going for when I was looking at them a few years ago.

Smoked looks good too, but to be legal I'm fairly sure you cannot tint the reverse lights which, in my opinion can look a little goofy. I would also suggest switching to the updated model tail lights, because they take years off the rear end of the car, but judging by your profile picture, you've got that covered, lol

Maybe switching them out for QX4 tail lights, for a slightly different look?

You could also get a bumper cover, they are like a grill guard but for the rear bumper, looks pretty good if you ask me.

Other than that, there isn't much to be done for the rear of the cars, other than going full on fabricated bumper with d links and a a swing away. Lol

-Kyle

Not a fan of tail light "guards", I think the smoked look can be ok, and as far as QX4 taillights, they don't have reverse lights built into them, so you'd have to come up with a solution for that. Otherwise, I'd say debadge and it should clean up the rear end.

It's not a moving violation so I don't think you can be pulled over for it. But if you get inspections in your state. They are going to point that out. Every state and county is different. You would probably never have any issue. But i just thought I'd point it out.

-Kyle

• Like 1

I like the look but for me, at least being in such a high traffic, low driver skill area, I like to have as much light coming from my taillights as possible.