VG head work

SkiBumBrian

Until I join this forum I knew little about the Nissan VG engines but have gleaned a lot from the members here. I have read a lot about engine swaps, euro cams and other higher lift/duration cams, some requiring better or dual springs but I had not seen any info on head work. I have a background in racing and building performance engines but not the Nissan VG series. It was nice to find some info on this and would like some feedback on anyone who has done some grinding on the heads and possibly some flow #s and gains.

I am of the belief that most of the available HP is with the intake/ exhaust "breathing". After the bumpers are done I plan on addressing this theory a donor engine....... CARB issues?

Having no first hand experience other than smoothing things out, I will say that Mr. 510 at www.vg30.com, MY1PATH, and Mitch at EPR are great people to talk to about this. Ferrara and a few other companies make 1mm oversized valves, the biggest you can buy. Hop on over to z31performance and read around on there as well.

Yep, here is the link I was looking at last night. I am not sure why this guy was polishing intake ports, we would polish exhaust ports but you really want to turbulate? the intake as much as possible. We never polished the intake ports. Some good info on here though, would like to hear from those who have done this to the VG series engines.

http://www.redz31.net/pages/headwork.html

I don't know if this is relevant or not but back when I had my Honda Prelude Si 86 model, I had some head work done to it: Port / polish and 3 angle valve job. This combined with cat back 2 1/4" exhaust, Carsound high flow cat and Imco Turbo muffler, and cone filter and aluminum pipe intake, my butt dyno told me I gained around 20 - 30 hp. The stock 2.0 engine with the 12 valve head made around 125 hp and after it was all finished it felt like a 150 hp car and it pulled like an Ox all the way to redline.