Oil leak!

LittleUnknown

Hey, I have a question about my 98 Pathfinder. I've named her Bertha and I've grown very attached to her, but she's been leaking oil pretty bad. I, myself, know nothing about vehicles, but my boyfriend is a major gear head. He's looked at her for me and said he can't see where it's coming from exactly, but it is coming from one of my bottom seals and dripping onto my manifold, which in turn, is making her smoke like a freight train. I was just wondering if anyone could shoot me a ball park of how much it will cost me to have her fixed and if it's even worth it?

She also has a bad axle and her ABS light came on two days ago, just in case if that has anything to do with anything at all. Like I said, I'm not very car savy.

Please and thank you for your help,

Mahela

There are a few places where these engines could leak oil on to the exhaust.

It could just be the valve cover gaskets on the heads, which can happen they do go bad.

Or it could be the rear main seal which is farther down and much harder to replace as the transmission needs to be separated from the engine.

Hard to say if the axle and ABS light are connected, there should be a procedure for checking ABS codes in the FSM which is linked in a pinned post in the garage section.

If it is dripping on the exhaust manifolds, it is probably the valve cover gaskets. Simply going in and tightening the philip head screws is a good idea. The other main culprits are the front and rear main seals, but they aren't anywhere near the exhaust manifolds.

Time to use some degreaser and maybe some judicious use of a pressure washer. Just clean the areas you suspect and it will become evident eventually.

How many miles on Bertha?

BTW, welcome to NPORA.

B

If it is dripping on the exhaust manifolds, it is probably the valve cover gaskets. Simply going in and tightening the philip head screws is a good idea. The other main culprits are the front and rear main seals, but they aren't anywhere near the exhaust manifolds.

Time to use some degreaser and maybe some judicious use of a pressure washer. Just clean the areas you suspect and it will become evident eventually.

How many miles on Bertha?

BTW, welcome to NPORA.

B

I could be mistaken but I'm fairly certain that the Y-pipe runs under where the engine and transmission mate, so if the rear main was leaking...

Almost always the valve cover gaskets leaking onto the exhaust manifolds. RMS or oil pan gasket if its dripping on to the y-pipe below the transmission. Many auto parts stores sell a dye you add to the oil that glows green under a blacklight, very handy stuff.

I could be mistaken but I'm fairly certain that the Y-pipe runs under where the engine and transmission mate, so if the rear main was leaking...

On an R50? :scratchhead:

I was going by the manifold statement, not a non-existent Y pipe scenario... :tongue:

B