Tie Rod Spacers

ejin4499

Heres a pic to the basic concept.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/techarticles/sstp_1008_nissan_240sx_project/photo_05.html

Its for lowering Nissan 240 but the concept is the same just reversed.

I think that is called a heim joint and then its just a milled piece that seats into the taper with an adjuster on it. Looks relatively simple the ones pictured I think are designed with drifting in mind. Gotta be strong to put up with that.

Edited by ejin4499

Yes, the heim joints are the way to go. A few people have set up their front end that way, the grassroots4x4 centerlink has some welded on and most of the SAS guys use them. I wouldn't call that set up tie rod spacers though... ;)

Personally, I'd just go with this.

http://www.grassroots4x4.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

The stock tie rods have a male threaded taper to locate on so you would have to have a female tapered adapter to bolt them on. I'm not sure of the benefit of putting a 90* ball joint into a heim joint joint though. The real reason the stock center links wear out is that they lift and rotate under extreme load and then bell mouth the tapers.

Are we still talking about the same thing? :D

B

The main reason I was looking for something to correct the tie rod angle is to get rid of bump steer. If one could space up the tie rod to level it out wouldn't that help with bump steer? If it happens to extend the life of the center link thats a bonus.

The other thing I was looking for was a TRE with a really long stud.

|____ Stock truck

|

___ Lifted truck with tierod at an angle

|/

|

|------ Lifted truck with somthing to raise where the tierod attaches to the spindle

|

I've looked and it is a little tight but there is some room with stock wheels. I was thinking even something in an tetris shape may work.

______ |

|_ |

| | |

|

Could something be welded to the knuckle ? Like say a piece of another knuckle to move the attachment point a little further in (effectively .5 inches) so now you have space to clear the wheel?