Coil/ ICM

aj503

So probably a stupid question... But is the ignition control module attached to the coil itself or is it elsewhere. I have looked at every diagram I could get my hands on and haven't found a definitive answer.

And also is there a wayto test the functioning of he ICM? I plan on testing the coil and have found the procedure for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Uhhh..is it different on the 87 from the 94? If not, the ICM is attached directly to the right side intake, right behind the coil...if yours looks anything like this 2012-08-04115405.jpg it's the light grey little trapazoidal looking box right behind the coil, attached directly to the intake plenum, in this pic you can see one of the screws attaching it.

Edited by gv280z

TBIs are two seperate units but mounted on the same bracket on the fender well.

If you looked under the hood, you would see that the plug from the wiring harness goes to the ICM, then from there another plug goes to the coil.

That's what I figured now that I have it all taken apart, it is under a rubber dust cover. Thank you for the clarification. The bracket is crazy rusted, along with all of the bolts that hold it all together... Fun stuff.