General parts question.

Guest grimlocke

Guest grimlocke

I have had my 95' Pathy for about 6 months now. When I first got it everything was great, 101K miles, sweet body. Just perfect.

I recently (about 2 months ago) noticed, that when I start it it ticks slightly, getting louder with increased RPM. It goes away completely after about ten minutes. I have done some research and see that there is a known issue with the Pathy's manifolds. It seems that the bolts break and then the manifolds warp. This in turn reduces performance and gas milage.

I figure I will replace the manifolds as soon as possible (next 4-5 weeks) to reclaim the lost power and milage. What I need to know is, Does anyone know a reliable site from which to purchase parts? And if there are better aftermarket parts and such? I just want to know my options, but searching for car pasrts online is akin to looking for a needle in a haystack.

I am also looking for add-on acc., I found some sweet Nissan nerf bars for the side at a junk yard got both for $100. But I have yet to find a decent web-retailer that can show me what can fit where which makes it difficult cause I have no idea. So, again, if anyone knows a site with good pictures and year and model matching for add-ons that would be absolutley fantastic.

I also have some sweet pictures of my Pathy in the snow, but alas I am unable to find the USB cable for my camera so those will have to wait. sorry, I know from reading the forums how much you guys like pictures. :)

;) I am doing the job you are talking about right now (my maiden voyage into my motor, so far so good.. 2 broken manifold bolts out of 6 is good for what I thought was broken). I will be posting pics (somehow) when I am done with everything.

If you get aftermarket (non Nissan) headers, such as the Doug Thorley headers, (you will not need to replace the manifolds as the headers take care of that problem), most everyone is running them (I have them too), the design of the Thorleys will cure the problem of the bolts breaking from bad design again. The will also offer more power than stock (better flow). I got mine (as most everyone has) from Summit Racing for $338 to my door.

If you need any other prices, part numbers on the general things you will have to replace...I still have everything I bought (boxes/bags/etc) with PN's.

ARB.com pretty much own the market on bumpers, and Calmini.com seems to be the best for lifts. Superlift also make good lifts for Pathys. rancho or Pro Comp both seem to work well on Pathys (shocks).

Summit Racing's phone number is 1-800-230-3030 They are great. (their number is on my speed dial!!) LOL

Good Luck! :aok:

Edited by Slick

if you're just looking to replace the bolts and gaskets and leave the manifolds, I gould go to the stealership but make sure you get the good bolts (from the 300Z) and not the crap they put in the pathy. Do a search, I thought there was a post in here that had the part number of the good bolts.

Guest grimlocke

If you need any other prices, part numbers on the general things you will have to replace...I still have everything I bought (boxes/bags/etc) with PN's.

Good Luck!  :aok:

Thanks a ton for the info. Im not sure what I need to replace now. I was under the impression that the ticking noise starts after the manifolds are warped, so once that happens you have to replace the manifolds as well.

If its not too much trouble, could you possibly give me a part run down of what I would need? and about what I am looking to spend to complete this.

The Thorley headers sound great if they will give me better power. As it stands now the truck has plenty of power but its a bit sluggish, and from what I have read that will be fixed by repairing the defect.

On a fantastic note, I picked up the drivers side stock Nissan nerf bar (step rail) today at the junk yard, unfortunetly they were unable to get the front brackets off. So I went over to the stealership as I would need the brackets to get them onto the truck. After digging around for a bit, the couter guy told me $90.20 for the install kit, that contains the brackets and bolts..and that was if he could even get it.

I was rather pissed as I had paid just about the for the bars themselves. I told him I would get back to him. On my way home, my friend and I stopped at a light and I asked him to jump out and see if the frame was even drilled in the rear (some reading had told me that some are pre drilled, and others are not), cause if it wasn't I was just going to return the bars. Not only were the mounting holes there, but the front brackets were already on my truck (i know I should have checked earlier). It was a wicked nice suprise to an otherwise rather un-eventful day.

So this weekend Im gonna throw those on and then I promise some pictures!

Edited by grimlocke

:clap: "wicked nice" suprises are good. Glad you lucked out.

My block and heads are fine, I did not have to replace anything but the manifolds, and with the new headers..problem solved. :rolleyes:

As for the parts run down, if you're just doing the job I am.. then this is a list of the following basics you'll need (what I bought):

Water pump $100

Timing Belt $26

New Headers (my Thorleys came with everything you need to install them) $338

O2 Sensor $101

Clutch Kit (incl. throw out bearing) $179

Motor Oil

Coolant

Valve Cover Gaskets (if they're leaking)

Have your starter motor checked and rebuilt or buy a new one (it's a PITA to get out without removing some stuff..better to be safe..)

Oil Filter Relocation Kit (I got a Perma Coll from Summit) $45

Check all other belts for cracks and cuts (I replaced all 3 for $23)

PB Blaster (2 cans at least! and USE THEM) $7 for 2

No doubt I forgot something... :wacko:

I bought a lot of other stuff..but no necessarily in regard to this job.

This job is turning out to be a reaaaaaaaaal PITA. We went to pull the motor..and now we have to take more (big) stuff off.. I am disenchanted right now with it..but I know it will be like having a new truck when I'm done...just have to go through more hassle and time to get there! My boyfriend is good at making me look at the bright side of this..LOL :oops:

(I haven't found it yet....but sure I will once the motor is actually out)

Here is the link to the pictures of what I've done so far...and how I did it.

Neon sticky labels and zip lock baggies are fabulous! (That's what all the bright colored tabs are..I numbered everything I took off that I would not know where to put it back..be like paint by numbers going back together! lol) Very helpful indeed.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pathy4x4/alb...hy4x4/my_photos -bounce-

Edited by Slick