4x4 system issues (not engaging)

Koolbananass

Got a 91 terrano turbo diesel. Just trued it in sand and got booged with 4x4 low and high.

Got home had someone in the 4by and had them drive forward slowly with 4x4 engaged and noticed only the front drive shaft turning but not the cv's can anyone tell me how the terrano's engage the cv's and hubs. Is it by vacuum or electric.

Any pointers would be appreciated

Mike

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

I had similar issue with my surf all I had to do was reconnect a vacuum hose. I can't seem to find much info on terrano 4wd system. Can't trouble shot if I don't know how it works

wd21 pathfinders in the US just use the driveshaft to actuate the internal parts of the differential. they is a breather hose, but its nothing more than that. if the cv's aren't turning. Something is messed up. or you have an unknown style differential in your rig. lol.

Got a 91 terrano turbo diesel. Just trued it in sand and got booged with 4x4 low and high.

Got home had someone in the 4by and had them drive forward slowly with 4x4 engaged and noticed only the front drive shaft turning but not the cv's can anyone tell me how the terrano's engage the cv's and hubs. Is it by vacuum or electric.

Any pointers would be appreciated

Mike

this is what I did when engaging in 4by...parked then shift in 4l or 4h then go, while running slowly you can shift back to 2H hub is still locked, to unlock the hub I move backwards say 10M and this is the only time that your hub is unlocked or youre on a 2WD.

I heard this a procedure a few times. What I would like to know is how the 4wd system works on the terrano. Thew surf had a pin that would via a electric motor lock the front drive shaft and then via vacuum operations lock the front right cv to the diff and the hubs. The left one was always connected.

I am still hoping that this terrano as a similar setup and all it is, is a vacuum issue. But I can't trouble shot the issue until someone is nice enough to tell me how this system works.

At least I don't have to check it all as the transfer case is working.

It is purely mechanical. The transfer case directs power to the front differential, the CVs turn, and when they turn the hubs engage locking the front wheels. If the front driveshaft is turning but the CVs aren't, there's a disconnection somewhere in the front differential. Sounds like you may need a new one or pull it out and repair it if possible.

Could also be that both inner joints on the CVs are busted so the disconnect is there. Check if the flanges themselves (where the CV axles bolt to the differential) are turning.

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

Ok. If it's just mechanical it makes it alot easier.

So the drive shaft diff and cv's are always connected the disconnection happens at the transfer case and hubs?

I'll check the hubs and cv's and diff.

Is this system the same for the pathfinders and maybe the navara of the same year

Well I found my problem and it's not the diff the inner left hand cv joint has pulled apart being a open diff all the drive goes to that cv nothing to do put to pull it apart and fixing it.