Advice on upgrading a stock 2004 Pathy

04Pathfinder

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate your response. I'm in the middle of tearing out everything and running new wires. We are zip tying the new speaker wires to the groments and running it that way. Having issues with the amp set up. I bought a rockford fosgate kit and I'm not even sure what all the wires are for. I regret not just paying someone to install all this haha. What a pain in the ass! I used dynamat on all the doors and had to add 3 layers on the front doors (just around the speaker) to make up for the lost gap from the stock bose brackets.

New speaker wire, speakers, head unit and sub woofer all installed. It was a huge pain and took longer than I had expected. I also put dynamat in the doors back panels and hatch door. I didn't end up running the license plate camera I purchased. I wasn't entirely sure where to run it and didn't want to deal with trying to run it thought the grommet on the back window. I also dropped the ball and didn't connect the mic to the back of the unit before betting it in and putting the dash back together. I wouldn't use the blue tooth much, but it was dumb not to attach it. It had slid down the dash and I completely forgot about it. Sound is much improved but I need to use the equalizer setting and figure out the best sound settings. Also, I purchased a bull bar that I installed. Now I just need to put on my bug shield and window vents!

I did the 4" subframe drop, however I have heard good things about the 2" AC lift, much easier to install too. I made my own bumber for under $100, as well as a lot of other members on here, my favorite would have to be muddfildvaynes. I plastidipped my rims and they are holding up great. my roofrack is cheesy just something i bought off craigslist for $50, and I had an aftermarket stereo but the converter for the antenna didnt fit and I the whole amp thing is a pain. You can order a dash converter for about $7 off ebay to fill the gap for your new stereo. Looks good too not cheesy.

:welcome:

Here are some pics of the process and the new head unit. I still need to fill the gap. Any specific recommendations ? I'll get a shot of the bull bar on it tomorrow as well. It has spots for lights.. would you suggest LED ? LED bar instead of 2 off road lights?

IMAG0245.jpg

IMAG0249.jpg

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0246.jpg

IMAG0244.jpg

IMAG0250.jpg

Edited by 04Pathfinder

I also replaced the tweeters and used Velcro and electrical tape (ghetto but that was the only way to do it without drilling holes) it was surprisingly secure and there isn't much room at all for it to move with the trim on. We used connectors for the crossovers and soldered and taped all connections to the head unit itself. We used 14 gauge 100% copper for the new wiring and for the most part left all the bose stuff in it. I removed all the speakers and amps but left the wiring (didn't want to deal with it). I had crossovers and the sub bass control that I ran to the front. I'll show the sub and bull bar soon. We did run the RCA and power from the sub on opposite sides and to be honest... I would have rather paid the $350 or so to get it installed and save myself and my father the nightmare. That wouldn't have included installing the dynamat and probably wouldn't have been done as well with some of the horror stories I've heard about short cuts taken. Head unit is amazing! If you use andriod.. I'd suggest this head unit. It has an MHL setting and I can mirror exactly what's on my phone to the head unit... so I can use my google maps and now my head unit is a navigation unit. I also put the park break wire to a ground so I can listen to music dvd's while I drive. Next on the list... possibly a roof rack .. Yakima is what I'm leaning, I just don't want it to stick out too much with those rather tall cross bars. Yakima Megawarrior is on amazon for $304 may have to get that .

Edited by 04Pathfinder

I also replaced the head light bulbs that have been working for 10 years. I wanted a whiter light and after some research found what looked like the right bulb for me. I'm pretty pleased with the results. The pictures aren't great and a bit blurry on some because the neighbors dog was freaking out when I was trying to take the pictures.

IMAG0254.jpg

IMAG0255.jpg

A bit darker here.

Low beam

IMAG0257.jpg

High beam

IMAG0258.jpg

Edited by 04Pathfinder