Advice on upgrading a stock 2004 Pathy

04Pathfinder

Hello everyone,

I have a fairly stock 2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE with an automatic transmission. My truck has a little over 60,000 miles, I'm hoping to use the collective knowledge of everyone on the forum to help improve my truck. I'm interested in a small lift, upgrading the stereo, warn hubs (will they fit with my LE 17" wheels?) roof racks, aftermarket bumpers.. the whole 9!

Here is my truck

IMAG0217.jpg

I got my hands on a few cans of plastidip and painted the emblems and rims. (surprisingly holding up really well) I also added a tow hitch (which sticks out farther than I expected) Here is what she looks like now.

b6edba45-7f0b-43e3-a152-d24a05e7f6a0.jpg

IMAG02281.jpg

IMAG0229.jpg

I like the look but I'm pretty interested in adding an additional 2 inches of lift to my stock suspension.

I've finally purchased my new stereo and should receive everything in the next few days.

I purchased this head unit

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105NSX600/JVC-KW-NSX600.html?tp=20217

And polk speakers

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB5251/Polk-Audio-db5251.html

I purchased the head unit from crutch field for their awesome customer service, but the speakers from amazon as it saved me $100+ I also plan on adding a small sub to bring it all together. Since I'm replacing the factory speakers and head unit, will I need any adapters to make it work? I will be removing the factory amps as I will no longer need them. I'm also more than likely going to run new speaker wire to get rid of all the stock equipment. Does anyone foresee any issues or have any tips for replacing the gap between the head unit and the surrounding dash?

I think its time for a new suspension, even if I don't lift the vehicle and also need to replace the brake pads. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I've looked at TAC customer bumpers but am hesitant to spend so much money especially without being able to see exactly what I'm getting. I've also looked into brush guards. I love the look, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra damage they are known to cause in accidents. Basically I'd just like to hear what you guys would do / did when your vehicle was essentially stock.

Roof rack recommendations would also be greatly appreciated. I've seen numerous variations but it's hard to know which ones are worth the money, I'm not trying to spend $500 on one.

I want to plastidip the front grille, but it seemed like a pain in the rear to detach it from the bumper (I didn't look too hard into this and will probably just spray it while its attached.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated !

Good looking, clean truck. As far as the lift, I highly reccommend OME. Just remember spacers to level it out and you're perfect. Great street ride, and excellent capability.

Grille-wise it's extremely easy to remove- just a few clips and presto! It's off! I plastidipped mine and love the look.

May I ask why exactly you'd like a TAG bumper? Or brush guard? I much prefer the stock setup, and since the angles aren't too bad, I've left it alone. You can even mount a highlift (stioc's idea) or off road lights (my idea) in the slots.

Welcome to NPORA and I hope your stay with us is wonderful :)

AC sells a sus. lift. https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/pathfinder-19962004-pathfinder-c-435_437_341_8.html

I love my grill guard, they can cause damage at high speed but for low speed they really just protect you.

Any recommendations on the guards? Thanks for your response!

Good looking, clean truck. As far as the lift, I highly reccommend OME. Just remember spacers to level it out and you're perfect. Great street ride, and excellent capability.

Grille-wise it's extremely easy to remove- just a few clips and presto! It's off! I plastidipped mine and love the look.

May I ask why exactly you'd like a TAG bumper? Or brush guard? I much prefer the stock setup, and since the angles aren't too bad, I've left it alone. You can even mount a highlift (stioc's idea) or off road lights (my idea) in the slots.

Welcome to NPORA and I hope your stay with us is wonderful :)

Thank you! I've read great things about the OME and that's more than likely the route I'd go. TAG bumper interested me because of the added protection for the front of the vehicle. I don't intend to do much off-roading other than camping/fishing spots. How did/would you mount them to the stock bumper? Appreciate your feedback

Thank you! I've read great things about the OME and that's more than likely the route I'd go. TAG bumper interested me because of the added protection for the front of the vehicle. I don't intend to do much off-roading other than camping/fishing spots. How did/would you mount them to the stock bumper? Appreciate your feedback

I would suggest not getting the TAG bumper, only because it doesn't seem like you need it completely. That's a lot of weight and $$$ to have up there. Anyway, you can use some angle iron to mount to the high lift. Check out Stioc's build in the nissan section of Expedition Portal for more details.

How hard is it to install ? What else do I need to add to get the 2 inch lift? Interested for sure !

You need to be able to remove your strut in the front and your springs at the back (or at least compress them) in order to install the spacers. The front spacers fits over the top plate, but since you need to change the bolts (for longer ones), you will need a spring compressor in order to disassemble your strut. You then thread the spacers on top of your top plate and then re-assemble your strut.

I don't think it is terribly complicated, but if some of my previous customers can chime in, I would really appreciate... There is nothing like customer feedback !

You do dot need to add anything else to achieve the 2 inch lift. The hardware is included.

S.

Any tips on improving my MPG? It's my daily driver and gets terrible MPG

Manual hubs, synthetic fluids, 91 octane, exhaust and intake upgrade (marginal improvement), and a light foot.

Manual hubs, synthetic fluids, 91 octane, exhaust and intake upgrade (marginal improvement), and a light foot.

I truly appreciate all your responses thus far. I've read that those manual hubs can cause issues because they don't properly lube the front axle ? something like that. Have you had any issues with yours? With a small lift and manual hubs on stock wheels/rims, what type of MPG improvement have people seen?

I truly appreciate all your responses thus far. I've read that those manual hubs can cause issues because they don't properly lube the front axle ? something like that. Have you had any issues with yours? With a small lift and manual hubs on stock wheels/rims, what type of MPG improvement have people seen?

They do not cause any issue... this myth came from me a one point in time when I saw that the Transfer case gears were getting lubricated by the rotation of the main driveshaft. I wrongly assumed the FSM was talking about the front driveshaft....but it is the rear driveshaft that lubricates the transfer case gears by turning the transfer case oil pump....

I have hubs on my 2001 with no problems what so ever..

S.

They do not cause any issue... this myth came from me a one point in time when I saw that the Transfer case gears were getting lubricated by the rotation of the main driveshaft. I wrongly assumed the FSM was talking about the front driveshaft....but it is the rear driveshaft that lubricates the transfer case gears by turning the transfer case oil pump....

I have hubs on my 2001 with no problems what so ever..

S.

I thought that was from you. I only read part of that thread randomly and it had me worried. I assume you only gain with MPG when they aren't locked, correct? Also, I'm interested in your spacers and the "missing link" are you still making that product? It says you're currently not making them on your site.

It may only cause an issue if you have the auto-4wd system. I have had no issues on my part time unit, and get about 13-14 city overall.

yes.. all this assumes that you will not be using the AUTO settings on the transfer case... When you put hubs and that they are unlocked, you have to remember not to use the 4x4... What would happen is this : if you roll at 60mph and your hubs are unlocked, it means your front axles (half shafts and front driveshaft) do not turn. If you were to engage 4hi, you can imagine what kind of bang it would create as the clutch in the transfer case transfer the power to the front driveshaft... from 0 to 60 in no time :-). .... On the other hand if you do it while your stopped, there is no damage... (I did it a few time, forgetiing my hubs were unlocked..)

Cheers.

S.

yes.. all this assumes that you will not be using the AUTO settings on the transfer case... When you put hubs and that they are unlocked, you have to remember not to use the 4x4... What would happen is this : if you roll at 60mph and your hubs are unlocked, it means your front axles (half shafts and front driveshaft) do not turn. If you were to engage 4hi, you can imagine what kind of bang it would create as the clutch in the transfer case transfer the power to the front driveshaft... from 0 to 60 in no time :-). .... On the other hand if you do it while your stopped, there is no damage... (I did it a few time, forgetiing my hubs were unlocked..)

Cheers.

S.

Appreciate your feedback. I'm worried I'd end up doing that, so I'm not sure I'm going to get them hahaha.

I'm thinking I want a brush guard. Any suggestions on the brand? I've seen the Nissan branded one and that one is hard to find and usually over $420. I've been eyeing a westin brush guard on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Westin-40-0825-Sportsman-Powdercoat-Finish/dp/B000BRA8RW/ref=au_pf_ss_9?ie=UTF8&Make=Nissan|67&Model=Pathfinder|893&Year=2004|2004&carId=004&n=15684181&s=automotive

It's currently nearly $500, but at one point earlier in the year it was $311! I would have jumped on it for sure had I seen it then. Any suggestions? I realize there are some draw backs but I think the negatives are out weighed by the positives for me.

I got all of my new stereo equipment with the exception of the license plate back up camera (coming monday) Any suggestions on what type of speaker wire to buy or the size of the wire? Also, any suggestions on places to find wiring diagrams or write ups for double din units? I feel like I should be paying you guys for all your advice haha,

The spacers are available but not the missing link... I have put the production of this item and the skidplates on hold until further notice... Sorry.

S.

No problem. Does anyone else know where these are available? I want the missing link! haha

I'm going to tackle the stereo on Friday or Saturday. I'm waiting for the wire to be delivered. I decided to run all new wires. Any tips for running wire ? This will be my first attempt at it, shouldn't be too hard! Also, would you guys suggest the OEM brush guard or the westin version? I've seen a few on ebay, but I don't trust the quality and would rather spend more up front for something that will last.

I'm going to tackle the stereo on Friday or Saturday. I'm waiting for the wire to be delivered. I decided to run all new wires. Any tips for running wire ? This will be my first attempt at it, shouldn't be too hard! Also, would you guys suggest the OEM brush guard or the westin version? I've seen a few on ebay, but I don't trust the quality and would rather spend more up front for something that will last.

Pay attention when removing the stock wires, just run the new ones along the same path as the old ones and avoid pinch points. There's a thread on here somewhere with all the speaker specs and diagrams for door panel removal, as well as dashboard removal, I just can't recall the name at the moment